Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry on weight limitation

nehab1493
Explorer C

Is there a weight limit for my carry-on luggage if I have two free checked bags and excess baggage checked in?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Carry on weight limitation

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

As long as you are within the dimensions (here), you don’t officially have to worry about the weight. Keep in mind that you will need to be able to safely lift you bag into the bins overhead. 

Happy flying!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

SWDigits
Aviator A
There is not a weight limit listed on the Southwest carryon page (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html) but as noted on the page, "A friendly reminder: If your personal item does not fit under your seat, you will be asked to place it in an overhead bin."

Just curious, are you just worried that there is a weight limit or are you planning to bring something crazy heavy on board?

Customer | Home airport DCA

Cody-SWA
Explorer C

I have what is basically a "small" (easily fits in carry on) brick.  Weighs 70lbs.  I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem to bring it onboard. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Cody-SWA wrote:

I have what is basically a "small" (easily fits in carry on) brick.  Weighs 70lbs.  I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem to bring it onboard. 

I'm curious if TSA would allow it past security because some might see that as a weapon in an episode of you upset me here's a heavy brick (ouch). If it gets past security and it's in a carry on size bag that fits in the overhead bin I don't see it being a problem as long as you can lift it to put it in the overhead bin yourself because if a flight attendant is asked for assistance they might say you need to check this. 

-Blake

AviateLLC
Explorer C

Airlines expect pullback in demand as they lock in September schedules. The airline industry is about to enter a critical period. Carriers are locking in their September schedules, and they're expecting a pullback in demand. CNBC's Phil LeBeau reports.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@AviateLLC wrote:

Airlines expect pullback in demand as they lock in September schedules. The airline industry is about to enter a critical period. Carriers are locking in their September schedules, and they're expecting a pullback in demand. CNBC's Phil LeBeau reports.

Airlines were locking in September schedules in July when CNBC's Phil LeBeau made this report.

As a matter of fact, demand is actually higher now than it was when CNBC's Phil LeBeau made this report.