Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Carrying Drone as Carry-on Luggage

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DFournier wrote:

I too was wondering about my Mavic Air drone and bringing it as carry-on, and what if any were restrictions in place?

I've flown domestically many times with a Mavic Pro as a carry on and never had a problem with either TSA or at the gate. I'm not certain but I believe that the Mavic Air is about the same size. I recommend detaching the battery from the drone for added safety.

For international flights, I'd do some investigation before traveling. I've heard of at least one Central American country (I can't recall which) that confiscates drones at Customs upon arrival and requires payment of a "storage fee" to pick it up upon departure.

DFournier
Explorer C

Thanks for your inputs the good news is that we are only flying domestically, which shouldn't be an issue just wanted to the latest and greatest. 

Best Regards,

DF

Rnorm
Explorer C

When my drone case is rummaged through like my luggage bag, such as a broken lock, and neglect of fragile items, will they be replaced or will I receive a letter stating the reasons they go through suspicious suitcases. Just curious and would like to get to and from my destination with my articles in tact.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Rnorm wrote:

When my drone case is rummaged through like my luggage bag, such as a broken lock, and neglect of fragile items, will they be replaced or will I receive a letter stating the reasons they go through suspicious suitcases. Just curious and would like to get to and from my destination with my articles in tact.

TSA does leave a flyer in the suitcase that it was inspected with some of the details.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MGonzalzles
Explorer C

Do the batteries need to be in a special bag? I've been seeing that on some forums, but not others and not required by Southwest.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

FAA will weigh in on batteries:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/med...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bird0529
Explorer C

Can you confirm if this is still the rule? I am searching and haven't found anything else stating anything different?  Thank you!

paul9
Explorer C

Hello-I will be flying SWA with a Phantom 4 drone. I understand that I can check in the drone and propellars as check in baggage, in it's hard case.  I understand that I am required to carry on my batteries, which are are 83 kwh, so they are within the 100kwh restriction. I would like to bring all 5 of my batteries. Please confim that this is all within the legal requirements. I am trying to avoid last minute problems at the airport. I do not have an instagram or twitter account. Thank you for your time.--Paul

akburgess42
Explorer C

Hi Paul,

I am a fellow drone pilot like yourself. I found this straight from the guidelines:

Spare Lithium Batteries:

• Spare (uninstalled) lithium-ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the customer in the aircraft cabin.

• Spare batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal).

• Protection methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with electrical tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve/pocket in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

• Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

• Each installed or spare lithium battery must not exceed the following:

• Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery.

• Lithium-ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery (2 maximum).

• NOTE: Batteries with more than 160 watt-hours are forbidden in air travel

For further information, please visit: faa.gov(opens new tab)

If you are unsure whether the item you wish to pack in your luggage, carry on, or on your person is hazardous, please contact an Allegiant representative.

LB
Explorer C

The only limit on number of batteries has to do with larger batteries.  Read below from FAA website...

"Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).  Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below.  External chargers are also considered to be a battery.     With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only.  This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment."

For a DJI matrice 210 with TB55 batteries; Install 2 in the vehicle, and pack 2 more large ones safely.  This gives you a total of 4 large (up to 160 WH) batteries but subject to <airline approval>.  They always have to throw some confusing language in there...