Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carseat for toddler Question

Mamapandabear
Explorer C

I will be traveling with a 1 year old and a 4 year old. The 1 year old will sit in my lap. Does my 4 year old need a car seat or is she ok to sit in the seat without it? Travelling alone with both kids so I'd like to make it as easy as possible. Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Carseat for toddler Question

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

A car seat is not required, but is recommended by Southwest  Here's some info from southwest.com:

"Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh 40 pounds or less be secured in an appropriate CRS when traveling by air."

Several frequent posters, including myself, recommend the CARES child restraint. It's much easier to travel with than a car seat and does a great job keeping a child secure. 

--TheMiddleSeat

LittleBrother
Explorer C

We bring a carseat for out 3 year old, it's a Britax slimfit and fits perfect in the SWA seats. Makes her more comfortable (more likely to nap), elevates her so the tray table is at the right height, and makes me feel better about her safety should we hit some turbulence. Plus I'll need a carset when I get to my destination anyway. Use it in the airport as well attached to a Graco carseat dolly, she loves riding in it and makes getting around the airport much easier (and faster).

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LittleBrother wrote:

We bring a carseat for out 3 year old, it's a Britax slimfit and fits perfect in the SWA seats. Makes her more comfortable (more likely to nap), elevates her so the tray table is at the right height, and makes me feel better about her safety should we hit some turbulence. Plus I'll need a carset when I get to my destination anyway. Use it in the airport as well attached to a Graco carseat dolly, she loves riding in it and makes getting around the airport much easier (and faster).

Do you have a link for the dolly? Although I also love the CARES harness we have added #2 to our family and may need the extra set of wheels coming through the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LittleBrother
Explorer C

So we bought this Britax Car Seat Travel Cart. Picked up one for $40 on a open-box Warehouse Deal.... looks brand new. Yes, it works just fine with a Graco carseat (and probably any other brand as well)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CNEQK0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_hwZsCbPVVWR4S

I thought of getting a standard luggage dolly for 1/2 the price, and many people do from what I can tell. But this one has a longer bottom support for the carseat and the way they bend the metal makes it so the seat attaches using the LATCH anchors which makes it super easy to secure the carset to the dolly. It's worth the extra cost to me, plus it doubles as a pretty hefty luggage dolly.

Hjones
Explorer C

Which graco car seat do you have? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Hjones This thread is over 3 years old and it's unlikely the seat originally referred to is still in use or still sold.  If you have a question about a specific car seat please start a new thread and ask your question.

--TheMiddleSeat

Jwigs
Explorer B

We travel frequently with both our girls (2 and 5) and we have never had them sit in a car seat on the plane. we found it to be easier & more comfortable for them to sit in their own seat or on your lap (when they were under 2). 

I know some children love the comfort of their carseat and may nap better, etc. but we have fortunately not had to do that to get our girls through the flight. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

That's fine, and as @TheMiddleSeat mentions above: 

A car seat is not required, but is recommended by Southwest  Here's some info from southwest.com:

"Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh 40 pounds or less be secured in an appropriate CRS when traveling by air."

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger