Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Change in Departure and Return Locations

AtomB
Explorer C

I came down to Phoenix as a snowbird. I have a return flight scheduled back to Seattle at the end of April. Unfortunately a good friend passed away and a memorial was scheduled for 3/20/20 so we booked booked a RT flight from Phoenix to Seattle for 4days. Now the memorial has been canceled due to COVID concerns.

Questions re: how SW defines a “change” since we plan to come down to Phoenix to check on our home in September:

*Can I change my original itinerary to a RT departing Seattle and Phoenix as the arrival city, with a return back to Seattle? (A reversal of my current reservation.)

*If so, can I change the duration of my trip to 2 weeks instead of 4 days?

*If I can make the proposed changes, what happens to my early bird booking?

*Finally, if this COVID crisis continues, can I change my reservations a second time.

Thamks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Change in Departure and Return Locations

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Actually, you can change your reservation in any way you desire.

You can change departure city, arrival city, days of travel, duration of stay - as long as you complete travel within a year of the date your original ticket was purchased.

The reservation system will refuse to book travel after the one year mark has passed.

Unless I am mistaken, as long as you change your reservation (not cancel it), you keep your EBCI.

Re: Early Bird/Change in Departure and Return Locations

ckokinda
Explorer C

No you cannot change your reservation to whatever date/itinerary you like and keep your early bird.  We had early bird to boston and it would not let me change to another city later on.  I even called customer service who said "the catch" is you must keep the same from/to cities.  Really unfair.