Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing Name on Ticket (child)

Sasafras007
Explorer C

I will be traveling with my son and my nephew next summer. They are both minors.   If my nephew is unable to attend the trip, can I change the name of the ticket to another family member (child also) ?   I would be giving more than 60 days notice.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Changing Name on Ticket (child)

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

If you are not on a child ticket!!

For domestic flights within the US, the TSA does not require children (anyone aged 17 or younger) to have any kind of identification to get past security, even for children traveling alone. 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Sasafras007,

Tickets are not transferrable. When travel is cancelled, the funds can be used for one year from the date of purchase to book another flight for the original passenger.

In short, although you cannot change the name on a ticket, we are proud to offer one of the most flexible change/cancellation policies in the industry. 

GrimUSMC
Explorer C

This is an absolute lie and the reason neither I, nor my entire family, will ever fly Southwest again.  Its a complete fraud.  

CliffOnTheRoad
Explorer A

THIS? What encompeses the word this? I don't understand where the lie is. The answer is no, can not change name, yet true for cancel, refund, and rebook, although a higher fare is sure to happen.

sergio7644
Explorer C

The solution is to put both names on the ticket.  For example, if you son is named Joe Grant, and your nephew is name Francis Smith, then buy the ticket for Joe Francis Grant Smith.

If they check names, they just want to see the name on the ID match some of the names on the ticket.  If there are more names on the ticket, they will just ignore the extras.

If they ask you, just say, "he has a very long name, we keep it short on his ID."