Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing my flight

ClaireD
Adventurer C

If I get to the airport earlier than my planned flight, can I get on an earlier flight to my destination? And, how can I change my flight if I cannot make my planned one?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Changing my flight

camatuse
Adventurer B
Solution

Yes, you can! If you would like to change to an earlier flight, see the Customer Service agent at the Gate desks. They will be able to assist you in changing your flight and inform you of any change fees (if applicable). Although Southwest does not charge for flight change fees, you may have to pay the fare difference between the two flights.

shortlegs26
Explorer C

Can I change my flight to an earlier flight on line

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Go to the Southwest website home page and you will see about a quarter of the way down on the heading where it says "Book" look all the way to the right and it says "Change Flight" 

kahunadoc
Explorer C

I have family flight on August 5th, returning August 12, from oakland to EWR, I would like to flight myself alone leaving oakland on August 2nd or 3rd  to EWR and return on the 12th with family. Is it possible and if there is no suitable flight with Southwest, can I fly on another airline on 2nd and return with family on 12th from EWR to oakland?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

You only have to pay the difference in fare if you booked the Wana Get Away ticket.  If you booked an Anytime, or Business Select ticket you can change to a different flight that day at no charge if seats are available.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

Stand by is specifically not allowed.  You have to pay the difference between what the earlier flight costs at the time you change and what you paid for your flight.

As for missing your flight, per official rules, if you do not cancel the reservation 10 minutes before the scheduled departure, you lose the fare paid completely.  If you cancel by the time limit, you have the price paid as a credit for a year in your name only.

There is SUPPOSEDLY an informal policy called the "2 hour rule" such that anyone showing up at the airport within 2 hours of a missed flight will be put on the next available flight for no charge, but it is definitely not published anywhere and I would not rely upon it.