Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing the return flight

NMRalston
Explorer C

If a book a round-trip Wanna Getaway Ticket and I want to change the return flight, what is the procedure? Are there fees other than difference between the previously scheduled return flight and the new return  flight? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Changing the return flight

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

No change fees!

You would pay the difference in fare (or receive travel funds if the new flight is cheaper).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Always safer to book two one way flights, especially if you think you might need to change one flight. If you book a roundtrip flight and want to change the return before you have taken the first flight you may have to call to change the flight because the price of the first flight could have gone up since you originally booked. If you try to change that online it could result in a higher price for the same flight. If you call they can adjust the return flight separately from the first flight. Hopefully that makes sense.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Always safer to book two one way flights, especially if you think you might need to change one flight. If you book a roundtrip flight and want to change the return before you have taken the first flight you may have to call to change the flight because the price of the first flight could have gone up since you originally booked. If you try to change that online it could result in a higher price for the same flight. If you call they can adjust the return flight separately from the first flight. Hopefully that makes sense.

--TheMiddleSeat

I think it let me change just one returning leg before without affecting the outbound pricing.

Where the system got goofy though was canceling only the return leg after already flying the outbound leg, which is why I only book one-ways now.

Actually I haven't done either of these since the new software came out so maybe it works better now. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

These guys have covered that you only pay a change in fare, if applicable.  As far as the process, this article is super helpful.  The screenshots are outdated, but you'll be able to walk through with ease.

If you prefer, you can always call SW reservations for help.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

As stated, it's generally best on Southwest to book one-way flights. 😉

If you have booked a round-trip, you can change online either leg without affecting the other leg. The exception is if you're trying to change the return after flying the outbound, which would require a call to customer service.

Online, you can only cancel an entire itinerary. In order to cancel only one leg you would need to call.