Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Charging for infant flying with parents and 2 siblings on paid tickets

sampler
Explorer C

I was forced to pay $330 round trip in order to pay for 4 month old to fly with parents and 2 siblings, all of whom have purchased tickets. Cannot see any such policy. Does it exist?

Perhaps a scam?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Charging for infant flying with parents and 2 siblings on paid tickets

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you brought a seat on board and intended fo the child to use it, then the charge is as it should be.

If you did not bring a seat on board and you intended for the child to sit in your lap, then you should not have been charged

sampler
Explorer C

Could this have been a scam? Cancelled credit card and they will refuse payment. Several seemingly irregular incidents in that call. Have written to Customer Service a complaint. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

It sounds like you purchased a seat for the infant rather than booking him/her as a lap child. If you book the infant to fly on your lap, there will not be a charge. If you book the infant to have a seat, they pay the same as anyone else. 

sampler
Explorer C

Have written the specific verbal transaction on the Reservations Forum Board. Does anyone else see the strangeness?

sampler
Explorer C

Purpose of call was to give the baby's relevant information as a lap infant and NOT to buy a seat for her. The coversation so irregular and confusing was difficult to follow. Spoken to Southwest many times in my life but never in this kind of scenario. Gentleman very convincing but could not really understand, but in hind-sight should have just cut him off. No excuse on my part except trying to hurry to get to chemotherapy appt. 

Know can be resolved, but is really messy situation having to go thru these steps. 

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered similar situation.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@sampler wrote:

Purpose of call was to give the baby's relevant information as a lap infant and NOT to buy a seat for her. The coversation so irregular and confusing was difficult to follow. Spoken to Southwest many times in my life but never in this kind of scenario. Gentleman very convincing but could not really understand, but in hind-sight should have just cut him off. No excuse on my part except trying to hurry to get to chemotherapy appt. 

Know can be resolved, but is really messy situation having to go thru these steps. 

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered similar situation.

As I posted in your other thread -- double check that the number you called was actually the Southwest number you meant to call, and not a misdial. (Look in your cell phone's call history if possible.)

If it wasn't Southwest, cancelling your card and disputing the charge is absolutely correct.

If it was Southwest, it's possible that the agent was trying to help, but that the poor connection complicated things. Contact Southwest again to make sure your primary reservation(s) are correct, and have them add the lap infant. Due to the recent schedule changes phone agents are overwhelmed right now, so I'd recommend reaching out via the chat function in the app, or direct message via twitter or Facebook.

sampler
Explorer C

Trust me, this was not a legitimate call. I dialed the number on the website, got the typical responses and "hold" prompts, for about 45 minutes. Then everything changed. Misspellings on reservations that had been made, strange website endings. Use of words (like telephonics for telephone) that we do not use. The final straw was when the agent had me write down a number from a city in PA and said to be sure and answer it if he phoned. 

Instead of being charged by SW the credit card payment went to something called ARC, I believe. Bank immediately removed charge as fraud and cancelled my credit card. Do not know if SW or Capitol One will choose to pursue but they did NOT responded to my complaint within the "promised" 48 hours. 

Have great sympathy for them with all they are going through, believe me. When I phoned to do the lap child thing I got onto a line that promised a call back in half an hour, which did happen and I have all necessary paperwork. I still say buyer beware. Appreciate all those who made attempts to normalize the situation, but was NOT normal. They should have been on the phone call and they would have understood.

I consider this matter, at least on my end, to be resolved.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There must be another explanation, if there had been a takeover of the phone number I think we would have heard about it in the news or many more posts on here. 

The scenario you are describing sounds fraudulent though, I'm glad you were able to resolve things with your bank and I hope it wasn't too painful with all the cancelations.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It was most likely a misdial.