Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Check bags through? Separate one ways, same confirmation number

bw2596
Explorer C

Hi all,

Hoping someone here can help me out! I have an upcoming flight from RIC to OMA, with stops to change planes in ATL and MDW. The phone agent was only able to book this as two one ways, the first being RIC to ATL, and the second being ATL-MDW-OMA. They are all on the same confirmation number.

I have to check bags. The phone agent said I should be able to ask the check-in staff in Richmond to check them all the way through to Omaha. Was she right? Is this possible? I'm concerned because my connection in ATL is only an hour--not long enough to pickup my bags and re-check them. 

Any advice or insight is welcomed!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Check bags through? Separate one ways, same confirmation number

bec102896
Aviator A

So if I am understanding correctly you were booked on a point to point reservation since it's on the same confirmation number from A to B  and B to C and the layover is less than 4 hours 

if you look up your reservation it might say something like departing and departing compared to departing and returning that's the best way I have figured out if it will let me check the bag all the way through. 

I have done these types of reservations before and have had success with getting my bag checked all the way. 

If they were on separate confirmation numbers then they probably  wouldn't check the bag all the way through at least in my experience. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@bw2596, my experience is the same as @bec102896’s .  Same confirmation number will get them through to final destination but not if different confirmation numbers. 

And I will add that my motto is “never check bags,” because my plans change, the weather changes, the schedule changes, etc.  So, as a frequent flyer, I learned to pack extremely light and to be ready to change plans at a moment’s notice.  

I know now there are times when bags have to be checked though. Have safe and fun travels.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@CareforNOLA

I agree with the person's statement about pack lightly. I have been doing for long time, and pack two small bags ain't bad. Pack lightly and don't check in the baggage will give you less problems.

If I were a lady, and shall I bring two small bags, but, do purse counts as third bag? If yes, I guess I have to wear fanny pack instead of bringing the purse whilist carry two bags.

That's my two cents to make a statements.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Women treated same as men by TSA. One regular bag and one “personal item” such as a purse or backpack.  I have never tested what they would do about a fanny pack, especially one that fit under clothing, but I would think they would count it and if hidden, they would be able to require one to combine it into something else (which would slow the boarding process) and maybe even confiscate it.  

I usually try to allow enough room in my suitcase to shove something else in such as a purchase of magazines or bottled water.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

All of this said, the TSA screening seems to let more go and the Soutwest employees end up looking like the bad guys for enforcing the rule at boarding. (Also some people may pick up additional items in the terminal that were orignially compliant. Food items from the concourse don't count to the total.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The baggage agent should be able to check your bags through to your destination, regardless of confirmation numbers. (Note that if you do have a single confirmation number this won't be an issue at all -- you'll even be able to use the kiosk to self-check your bags.) This does require additional effort on the agent's part, and I've learned that, following the system conversion, some agents know how to do this and are willing to assist without issue, and some others unfortunately are not. If you are polite, patient, and persistent you hopefully won't have a problem. Please do come back and let us know how it goes!