Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Baggage Claim Using New Online Form

creith
Explorer C

Hi! We were supposed to fly on 12/25, but our flight was cancelled and we had two checked bags. I submitted a baggage claim using the new online form that was posted on the SW facebook page last night. It looks like after you file the claim you are supposed to get a "File ID." We did not receive an email with a File ID for either of the two bags for which we filed a claim. Has anyone else used this new form? Have you gotten a confirmation email with a File ID? 

The confirmation page you receive after submitting the claim states, "You request is now being processed with an expected fulfillment time of 5-7 days." Do you think that means we will get a File ID in 5-7 days or that they hope to find our luggage and update us in 5-7 days?

Any insight would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Checked Baggage Claim Using New Online Form

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

We travelled to BWI and at the SW Baggage Service desk, we received a hard copy form with the file #. It was a three hour wait in line but, if you can complete online that may be the way to go. Our bags are supposed to be shipped to us via FEDEX.

ashcroftgm
Explorer C

Just got a hold of a customer service agent via the chat feature on SW's app regarding the same issue. They said, "It may take up to 10 days for the [baggage] report to be created and an email confirmation to be sent."

creith
Explorer C

Wow! Thanks! I was wondering if that was the case. I am so used to receiving an auto generated confirmation when you complete a form, I was nervous when I didn't receive one. 

Thanks so much for sharing your intel!

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Not getting my hopes up. Expecting the process to be as slow as molasses in wintertime. Right now, with SW flying a third of their schedule many employees have been working the luggage issue. A BWI SW employee told me that they were ordering the office workers to the terminal to help. Also, it looked like Flight Attendants were helping out. If SW resumes normal operations tomorrow, they may have less people to focus on the luggage issues.

creith
Explorer C

I have seen people comment that they have been given a 6-8 week timeframe as to when to expect to receive their luggage. I'd like to believe that's the under promise to over deliver time frame, but given what I saw late Sunday night as we left the baggage area, unfortunately, I think that could be accurate. 

Sweetsikh
Explorer C

SW cancelled my flight from Las Vegas to Bellingham, Wa on Dec 24 and transferred me to a flight to Seattle the next day. I asked for my checked baggage as I was to cross the US border to go to Vancouver, BC. I was denied my bag despite repeated requests. I was told to collect the same from the initially tagged  destination (Bellingham, Wa) . I hired a taxi from Seattle to BLI to pick my bag but I was told that the same has been sent to Seattle ! I again hired a RT taxi to Seattle airport to be told that my luggage was still at Las Vegas ! I incurred more that $900 on just searching for my luggage ! It's been 8 days to day and No communication from Southwest. I filed an Online report but was not given any Baggage report ID. I am in the dark as Southwest has already ruined my 2 weeks vacation and without my winter clothes and other stuff. Do not know as what to do as being a 72 years old Sr citizen cannot afford to travel from Vancouver, Canada to BLI, US and back without my baggage confirmation. Will appreciate if someone help.