Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Baggage and plane change

Stephzz23
Explorer C

Thanks in advance for the replies!I have not flown in years so this might be a dumb question.

I am traveling  from  San Diego to Cleveland and have a lay over in Tennessee that involves a plane change . I am planning on checking in 1 bag, do I need to grab my checked  bag from baggage claim and then recheck it in when in Tennessee for my layover/plane change ?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Checked Baggage and plane change

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@Stephzz23 you only need to check your bag in San Diego and pick it up at baggage claim in Cleveland. 

Have a a great trip! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Stephzz23
Explorer C

Thank you!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you were flying from an international location and changing planes in the United States you would need to get off the plane, get your bag, go through customs, recheck the bag, board the plane, but as you're only on domestic flights @Passenger1C is totally correct.  Just wander over to your next departure gate in Tennessee and wait to board the 2nd flight, your bag will be transferred from the first plane to the second.  It is good to double check the final destination on the luggage tag whenever you check a bag, but I've never had a problem with it myself.  You'd hate to be going to Cleveland and have your bag checked to Dallas.

--TheMiddleSeat

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Since it sounds like you will be connecting through Nashville, check out some info about our great “little” airport here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder