Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Baggage

Annalisa
Explorer C

My son is flying cross country for college.  Can his two checked "bags" be cardboard boxes?  They measure 20 x 20 x 20 and are under 50 lbs, but they do not have handles. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checked Baggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

With those dimensions you should be ok.  I've checked boxes before without any problem, you'll be asked what's in the box and must sign a damage waiver.  Make sure you print your contact info with a marker on at least two sides of each box. 

FYI here's the size and weight limitations:

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item.

knowajo
Explorer C

Hey I know this post was a long time ago, but I have a quick question. Do you or your son recall the damage inflicted on the cardboard boxes that were checked? I am attempting to do the same thing with a computer but super worried. 

Thank you for your time.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@knowajo wrote:

Hey I know this post was a long time ago, but I have a quick question. Do you or your son recall the damage inflicted on the cardboard boxes that were checked? I am attempting to do the same thing with a computer but super worried. 

Thank you for your time.

I've seen plenty of boxes come through just fine on the carousels across the country, but obviously there is occasional damage to luggage of all types once in a while.

When you say a computer - you mean shipping a desktop computer in its original packaging? I would strongly consider alternatives:

• Carry it on! Pain to lug it through the airport, but much less risk.
  • Shiping by UPS or FedEx instead - this way you can get insurance and the handling may be more gentle. 
  • Box it up into another larger plain box with additional packing material. Maybe marking it clearly as fragile. Not necessarily writing "computer" on the side. Southwest won't reimburse a lost or damaged computer. (I'm sure part of the reason is how to assess the value if they did want to reimburse, succeptibility for previously damaged high-value items to be checked, etc.)

On Southwest's website they encourage you not to check computers (go to "should I lock my luggage" section:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=baggage

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.