Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Bike Box

QCTri
Explorer C
Good Morning

Has anyone flown with a bike on Southwest lately? I found several old post that stated if the case was over 61 linear inches, the cost was $75.00 each way. However, that appears to have changed recently. The current policy appears to be:

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge:
  • Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight and 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper.

I have a Trico Iron Case, which is 87-88 linear inches. It appears every hard shell case is over the 80" limit. Am I reading this correctly?

The last discussion I was able to find no longer seems to be accurate.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checked Bike Box

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You are reading the policy correctly, anything over 80" cannot be checked. I don't think the policy has changed, the upper limit was just not previously discussed. I know @ksbrg has opinions on this and can weigh in if anything is different than what the policy says.

--TheMiddleSeat

QCTri
Explorer C

For anyone who finds this post, the response from SW on Facebook  to the same question is clear as mud:

Answer:

Hi there, (QCTri)! Thanks for taking the time to reach out, and we'd be happy to provide some clarification. We try to make our Customer's travel a smooth one, and if your bike exceeds the dimensions/weight that is listed above, then you should only be charged one oversize fee for the bicycle. We hope this info helps! -(Customer Service Agent)

Follow up:

Wow thank you for quick response! Just to confirm, if a bike case is over 80", but is LESS than 100 lbs, it can be checked ($75.00 fee) and DOES NOT need to be shipped as cargo.  I appreciate the clarification.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'm not sure what you find confusing about the policy. If the box is either more than 80" or weighs more than 100lbs it will not be accepted and will not fly.

If the box does not exceed either of those maximum limits and is between 51 to 100 pounds in weight and/or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions then you will need to pay an oversize fee. Even if the box falls into both of those ranges you will only need to pay one oversize fee.

If size is less than 62" and weighs less than 50lbs then the item just counts as one of your two free checked bags. 

Since you state in your follow up that the box is larger than 80" then the box is automatically not allowed to fly. Also keep in mind that you personally cannot ship an item as cargo with Southwest, you would need to utilize a cargo shipping company to do that.

I've heard the policy is not very practical for bikes and it appears to be not helpful to your situation, but that is the policy. 

--TheMiddleSeat