Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Bike Box

cat_coffee
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm hoping to travel with my bike. I'm looking at the special/sports equipment guidelines and it specifies an extra charge if the box is more than 62 linear inches, but it doesn't list a ceiling on the size. Does the checked baggage restriction of 80 linear inches apply to bike boxes as well? Or would I be able to check in a 90 linear inch box with both the excess size fee and bike fee?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Checked Bike Box

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Morning.

The only charge you'll pay is $75 - size limits don't apply to bikes. Here' what Southwest says:

"

Sports Equipment - Special Items

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. "

cat_coffee
Explorer C

Thank you!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

dfwskier is always on top of things~~

SWAisMyGoTo
Explorer C

If I pack my bike in a hardsided case and it gets damaged or stolen, will SWA pay for repair or replacement?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@SWAisMyGoTo wrote:

If I pack my bike in a hardsided case and it gets damaged or stolen, will SWA pay for repair or replacement?

Yes it will. Only bike packed in softside cases or cardboard are excepted  . If it measures less than 62 inches and weighs less 50 pounds, it'll fly free. Otherwise it'll coast you $50.,

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or softsided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@SWAisMyGoTo wrote:

Yes it will. Only bike packed in softside cases or cardboard are excepted  . If it measures less than 62 inches and weighs less 50 pounds, it'll fly free. Otherwise it'll coast you $50.,

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or softsided cases will be transported as conditionally accepted items.

That fee is $75 (as you posted upstream).  😉

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWAisMyGoTo wrote:

Let's be clear here, there are limits, and all airlines are subject to some liability for damage to properly packed items, but all airlines will also do there best to minimize what is paid out.  The contract of carriage stipulates the limits and how to declare excess valuation if the item is valuable.  As a traveler you should already be aware of the contract and the rights you have as described in it, but I would suggest reviewing it again for this situation.  Stolen items are a grey area since TSA and other groups have access to checked bags so you cannot point a finger solely at Southwest when an item goes missing.  For further clarification of this situation I would suggest speaking with Southwest directly.  Your best bet would be to send a private message via Twitter or Facebook.

--TheMiddleSeat