Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Car seats

divine01
Explorer C

Hello, I will be traveling with 3 lap infants and very nervous of course, my question is, do you sell car seat protection bags or can we bring our own? I will be gate checking a stroller and 3 car seats, they're expensive car seats and im terrified they will get damaged, I understand thats always a risk when flying. 

Thank you in advance

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Checked Car seats

LittleBlackBug
Explorer C
Solution

If you must pack your car seat, please consider using a box with some type of pading around the seat. This will protect your seat as best as possible. Always check your seat for any type of stress or damage. If possible, use the car seats on the flight to protect your child and the car seat.

MrsK
Explorer C

On the checked bag information it states that no boxes are allowed. I was planning on bringing my car seat in it’s original box. Will they allow me to check it? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

See elijah's esponse to the question you asked.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Family-Travel/Checked-Car-Seat/m-p/93647#M1701

But to answer your question, boxes are acceptable "luggage."

You'd pay exra if the box is more than 62 inches (height+length+width) or it it weighs more than 50 pounds

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hi there,

Southwest does sell car seat bags for about $15; I'm fairly certain you purchase them at the counter when checking bags. 

If youre concerned with damage, your other options are boxing the seats. And you can consider bringing them onto the plane too. 

Dont forget to utilize family boarding if you're not in the A group.

You've got this!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

We have gotten great mileage out of our $15 SW car seat bags. We have one for the pack and play, and one that we put the stroller and car seat into.

The bags are pretty large, you can probably put two car seats in one bag. We use these both for curbside checking the pack and play, and also gate checking the car seat and stroller.

Baggage handling inherently has some wear and tear and we were happy to have the blue bag take the brunt of it. One time it was moderately excessive and we asked for and had the bag replaced at baggage handling. The contents came through just fine.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

BeaconSlash
Explorer C

Do all SWA airports have this bag? Flying out of ABQ here soon and don't want to have a no-bags-available surprise when we get to the counter.

Thanks!

sgobert
Explorer C

What is family boarding?

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey there!

Family Boarding is how Southwest allows families with children 6 and under board early (after the A Group) in order to ensure seats together and get car seats and other items onboard in a timely fashion. 

🙂

sgobert
Explorer C

Thanks! I am travelling with my mother, husband, and our 2 kids ages 1 and 5. First time to fly with kids and first time to fly southwest!