Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked baggage question

abereann
Explorer C

I know you’re allowed two free checked bags per ticket. I only have one bag but I don’t have a scale or anything to weight it and I’m concerned whether it’s over 50 lbs or not, I can’t tell. 
my question is, if I just have one checked bag and it is over 50 lbs, will I still be charged for that since I don’t have a second one? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Checked baggage question

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@abereann wrote:

I know you’re allowed two free checked bags per ticket. I only have one bag but I don’t have a scale or anything to weight it and I’m concerned whether it’s over 50 lbs or not, I can’t tell. 
my question is, if I just have one checked bag and it is over 50 lbs, will I still be charged for that since I don’t have a second one? 

Yes you would. As near as I can tell the rule is in place to discourage use of heavy bags. Heavy bags are harder on baggage handlers

If you have a bath scale, you could weigh yourself twice - once with and once without your bag. That'll give you some idea of what bag weighs.

Checked baggage question

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@abereann   King is correct, you will be charged.  Here is a possible solution.  When I think I'm going to be close to the 50, I have an approximately 2 lb duffle bag that I put on the very top of the bag I'm checking.  If they tell me that it's over 50, I unzip, throw about what I think is the poundage over into that duffle bag, and I'm good to go.  Took me about 1 min to do all that.  I also found on vacation to just do this anyway as I always bring back more than I leave with because I load up on souvenirs for my kids and grandkids.  Or the souvenirs I bring back, local IPA's and coffee blends.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@abereann @dfwskier   My message should have stated, dfwskier is correct.  I recall the 50 lb bag limit was also about keeping the overall poundage down for the plane altogether to save on fuel costs and for plane balance.  It's been so long I've actually forgotten.  But yes, for the baggage handler as well.  

gsking
Aviator C

It's mainly for the handlers.   I get caution tags put on my bags when they are too LIGHT (as in empty).  They don't want them to throw their backs out lifting a deceptively light suitcase.

If they were that worried about fuel, they wouldn't give us two free 😉

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@abereann  When I think I'm going to be close to the 50, I have an approximately 2 lb duffle bag that I put on the very top of the bag I'm checking.  If they tell me that it's over 50, I unzip, throw about what I think is the poundage over into that duffle bag, and I'm good to go

this is the way. master traveler