Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked luggage size

sbechler
Explorer C

Hello.  

I'm confused about the size restrictions of checked luggage and I'm hoping you can help me. 

I just purchased a new samsonite 29" spinner suitcase for our upcoming trip.  I know the airline policy is 62" and my suitcase would be just under that at 61.5.  I thought I would be ok since it's the typical 29" suitcase. 

However if I mearsure with the wheels, it adds up to a little over 62".  Does the policy for suitcase size include wheels?  Thank you so much for any clarification.  Looking forward to flying with Southwest, as always!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Checked luggage size

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Wheels and handles do not count as part of the bag size.

This is based on customer service policy stated in this thread: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/What-constitutes-quot-oversize-quot...

Have a great trip 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Checked luggage size

Jimmyjames93
Explorer C

So handles and wheels count in linear measurements for checked in bags. I saw on a post here from 2018 that it doesn't because it's protruding, just checking if that's still policy or not