Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking Ikea Bags?

sydney760
Explorer C

I'm a college student traveling home to Houston Hobby from LAX.  The only luggage I have is a large blue Ikea zip up duffle (called a Frakta).  Is this ok to check?  I read a horror story reguarding Delta and the Charles de Gaulle airport and wanted to make sure that Southwest would allow me to check it.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Checking Ikea Bags?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

While I do not have experience trying to check one of these, given that the L+W+H of the Frakta bag does not exceed SW's limit of 62 total inches, it does seem like you will be allowed to check the bag.  Note that any bag over 50 lbs. will be subject to a $75 fee each way.

While SW may accept this bag, I would caution you against checking it because it does not seem very sturdy.  I would be terrified of what might happen to the contents, even if the bag is treated gently.  

Happy travels!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Checking Ikea Bags?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sydney760 wrote:

I'm a college student traveling home to Houston Hobby from LAX.  The only luggage I have is a large blue Ikea zip up duffle (called a Frakta).  Is this ok to check?  I read a horror story reguarding Delta and the Charles de Gaulle airport and wanted to make sure that Southwest would allow me to check it.

Thanks.

Hello.

I am unfamiliar with the Frakta, however, members of the military use duffles as luggage all the time. If your bag is simiarly sturdy, you should be fine. If it isn't, probably not.