Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking Snowboard Equipment

tleshan
Explorer C

Can someone explain how to check a snowboard and boots? Is a regular snowboard bag okay? Should I wrap the snowboard in bubble wrap? Do I need a separate bag for the boots? I know it's the wrong season, but I am being a good mom and bringing my son his equipment to his new residence in California...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checking Snowboard Equipment

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While I have not traveled with a snowboard myself, the impression I have from reading other posts is to put the board and boots in a regular snowboard bag and that's all you need to do.  No additional packing is necessary.  

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Actually two bags count as 1. One for the board, and another for the boots.

From SW's "Special Baggage" FAQ

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Why wait til next winter? If you get the itch, TImberline Oregon is still open despite Portland's recent 117 degrees

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions

edit add: a padded board bag should be enough for transport.

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

you are being a GREAT mom!

the experts have weighed in on the baggage policies, but I'd also recommend wrapping the board up a little to ensure it's snug and cozy in the bag. could be bubble wrap, newspapers, cloth, foam - just something to keep it tight.

surfboards, snowboards, bicycles - they're like children to some!