Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Checking a Firearm

FritzTheCat
Explorer C

Your firearm has to in a lockbox without ammo or any mags. Ammo and magazines have to be packed in a cardboard, nylon or other type of secure package. 

jimcorns36
Explorer C

Talked to a customer service rep: ammo can stay in the clip,in the same case as the rifle as long as it cannot roll around and it is secured to protect the primer.

RootedInCO
Explorer C

Replying to raydogg888—You didn’t mention what type of firearm you will be transporting but the rules can be followed simply by having a 2nd hard sided case, both of which are locked and only you have the key.  For pistols, put your unloaded pistol in one locked case, then the ammo must be either in original box(es) or inside the magazine(s).  Ammo has a weight limit—last time I traveled it was I think 9 pounds, which is enough for some target practice at the range and some self-defense rounds.

As an example, you can find empty hard Glock cases for about $15, sometimes as low as $5 on sale.  This is how to safely travel, comply with the law, and be safely armed at your destination.  Just remember—the state you’re traveling to may not accept your hardware—you must comply with their state law.

ktibbs05
Explorer C

ktibbs05_0-1593438845457.jpeg

Here’s a pic how my case is better locked.

Had an incident with flying SWA where TSA could breech the case, so I’m passing along this lesson learned.  Overall, flying with a firearm as we moved cross country was uneventful.