Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking a Firearm

raydogg888
Explorer C

I'm planning to check a firearm for the first time when traveling in a few weeks. I've read the TSA and Southwest guidelines, but they are a little murky on what to do with ammunition and magazines. I understand the firearm must be unloaded, but I'm not sure if I'm able to transport a loaded magazine (detached from the firearm) in the same locked box. If that's not acceptable, can I leave the empty magazine inserted in the firearm and place a box of ammunition in the locked box? My issue is space. The lock box I have is small and can only fit one of those two configurations. If neither is acceptable, I'll need to figure something else out. Anyone have any experiences they can share? Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Checking a Firearm

Henryklouie
Explorer C

Did Southwest allow check in handgun on domestic flight

Volkman
Explorer C

The ammunition should be in separate bag from the fire arm and in the case not lying lose .      Towerhand813

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @raydogg888 and @Henryklouie,

You can read Southwest Airlines' policies on checking guns and ammunition here

bugwizard
Explorer C

What are he TSA guidlines?  Are there any forms, eith TSA or Southwest I need to fill out each time I check luggage?

franktravel
Aviator B

yardsale72
Explorer C

Just FYI, I checked my firearms this morning in ATL, however I was told I had to remove my ammunition (still securely in the original boxes) from the case my firearms were traveling in.  I respectfully told the agent of the SWA policy (wish I’d printed a copy) but was told “it’s always been this way.”  She even conferred with her counterpart next to her and he agreed!  Not wanting to argue the point I made other aragnemets for my ammunition.  However when I delivered my ticketed firearms to TSA they confirmed that yes, my ammunition can travel with my my

firearms and they encouraged me to repack it in the firearms case as it was the most secure means of transport.  Overall, the experience was relatively straightforward but it is disappointing when staff do not know/understand their own companies policies.  Thank you for your time. 

hasii2017
Explorer C

This is what I read:

1) Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm

2) Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Grayl1351
Explorer C

Despite having my gun unloaded & locked in a TSA approved case the Dallas Love ticket counter agent & her supervisor both decided I had to give them my ammo today because it was not in “cardboard or wood or original container” but was securely locked in a TSA case. Never mind that I am AList preferred and have been traveling with same approved case and unloaded gun and ammo in said case all year.  It’s not my problem that she almost lost her job because she failed to properly check a gun once upon a time but when I am adhering to all the rules, I should not have to give up my ammo because I am a law abiding citizen!  SW feel free to send me replacements! Also, make your guidelines clear so that your own employees can understand them! I went to TSA website and showed her the rule and your supervisor. Beyond aggravated with your employees. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

What was your ammo in?