Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking firearms

Jpngordon24299
Explorer C

I’m traveling in a few days and I have read both policies from southwest and the tsa. They both say you can transport loaded mags in the case with an unloaded firearm but I have read from numerous people saying they have put mags loaded with the gun and some people saying that’s not the way to do it.   If I have the unloaded gun with unloaded mags in the hard case. Put the ammo in my other carry on just putting the box of ammo with my clothes will I have any issues.  

1 REPLY 1

Re: Checking firearms

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't have any experience traveling with firearms, but I would follow TSA and Southwest guidance and not what other people say.

From southwest.com:

• Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
  • The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

The first bullet point says ammunition MUST be in checked bag, NOT in a carry-on.

The second point says the ammo CAN go in your checked bag with your clothes, it just needs to be in a container/package.  OR ammo can be in the same container as the gun.

The third point specifies the magazines or clips must also be in a box/package or a cutout in the case.

Hope that helps

--TheMiddleSeat