Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking frozen breastmilk in large cooler

Seekingrainbows
Explorer C

Hi everyone!! I hope you can help!

I have approximately 600 ounces of frozen breastmilk that I need to transport on my upcoming flight. The cooler I’m using is a yeti so it’s meant to keep the contents frozen for extended periods of time (flight is 4 hours, travel to/from airport add in 6 hours so total travel time is 10 hours). 

My questions:

1) are there any restrictions to checking the cooler in? 

2) will my check in cooler be subjected to an inspection? Mainly curious if my milk will be handled in any way by an agent and if so, can I provide instructions on handling (ie they need to wear gloves, don’t open my milk, etc?)

3) it’ll definitely be over the weight limit - hoping I can just pay extra $$ for oversized luggage. 

Thank you for helping me figure out my precious cargo!!! 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Checking frozen breastmilk in large cooler

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Seekingrainbows wrote:

Hi everyone!! I hope you can help!

I have approximately 600 ounces of frozen breastmilk that I need to transport on my upcoming flight. The cooler I’m using is a yeti so it’s meant to keep the contents frozen for extended periods of time (flight is 4 hours, travel to/from airport add in 6 hours so total travel time is 10 hours). 

My questions:

1) are there any restrictions to checking the cooler in? 

Hello

I am not aware of any restrictions hat limit the amount of liquid in checked luggage

2) will my check in cooler be subjected to an inspection? Mainly curious if my milk will be handled in any way by an agent and if so, can I provide instructions on handling (ie they need to wear gloves, don’t open my milk, etc?)

All checked luggage is subject to inspection. You could try to put instructions on the bag / in the bag. I would be surprised if TSA would follow your request

3) it’ll definitely be over the weight limit - hoping I can just pay extra $$ for over sized luggage. 

All checked baggage that exceed size AND weight limits are subject to two baggage fees

Thank you for helping me figure out my precious cargo!!! 

Seekingrainbows
Explorer C

Thank you! Very helpful! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As @dfwskier said, TSA handles all inspections and can basically do whatever they want, but you are welcome to put a note in there that will probably be ignored.  You would need to ensure the cooler is sealed shut and will not fly open during transport.  Typically this involves a lot of duct tape and TSA may still cut it open if they deem it necessary.

To clarify on the overweight and oversize issue, you will only be charged the one fee of $75, per Southwest's policy: "Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs."

Important to note that the maximum checked bag weight is 100lbs, nothing over that will be accepted as checked baggage and would need to be dealt with as cargo.

--TheMiddleSeat

Seekingrainbows
Explorer C

Thank you so much! I will tape it shut and hope they don’t open it. Would it help to pack extra tape inside in the event they do open it and ask them to reseal?? Lol or is that wishful thinking? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If TSA opens it they will reseal it, no need for you to supply the tape.  I once had a wrapped summer sausage in a checked bad, it was a joke Christmas present to someone.  When I arrived at my destination I found that TSA had inspected the wrapped present, tearing open the wrapping paper, and the summer sausage was then covered in "Inspected by TSA" tape which made the joke even better than I had planned.

--TheMiddleSeat

Seekingrainbows
Explorer C

Lol that worked out well for you! Ok I will hope for the best! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I stand corrected

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hey @Seekingrainbows! Check out Nursing Moms Take Flight for more information. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Nicole
Community Manager