Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Christmas 2022 Reimbursement

mlathus
Explorer C

After countless calls, case numbers being issued, I’m still getting the run around from customer service. Apparently my case has only recently been sent over to customer relations who are still reviewing. Convenient since there is absolutely no way to contact customer relations(all numbers are routed back to main SWA number. This is in violation of our passenger bill of rights and yet it appears MANY of us have still not received reimbursement for our flights. How is this allowed? I have tried every possible avenue I can think of. I am going to start ranting on twitter now since that seems to get attention in the media. This is unacceptable Southwest and unethical on top of being a violation of our rights. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Christmas 2022 Reimbursement

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It does sound like your case is still being reviewed and worked on, that's a good sign.  Some reimbursements do take longer depending on the nature of the claim.

--TheMiddleSeat

mlathus
Explorer C

After posting on this message board, Southwest emailed me a $150 travel voucher. That is supposed to be for my $1,000 ticket! SO ANGRY! 

I contacted the media and they are airing my story, as we know there are many others effected.

ABC News will be covering my story with the hope that it will lead to action by Southwest.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You mentioned reimbursement, just to clarify are you looking for payment for a flight you took on another airline? Did you submit receipts? Were you assigned a case number? I've not heard of vouchers being offered for reimbursement requests so something is not adding up and you have provided very few details. 

--TheMiddleSeat

vinshil
Explorer C

You are not alone! I am going through the same thing. Southwest gave us the flight credits which are non-transferable. I have their email dated sometime January that they will credit is back to our gift cards, but nothing on that front yet! We are in March!

The worst thing, because of southwest flight cancellation in December, we had to cancel our whole California trip and return flight, which was with Spirit. Spirit charged us the cancellation fees. Southwest promised to reimburse us and here I am in March, still calling for hours and every agent I talk to is creating case numbers after case numbers, with no one to directly contact and resolve the issue! This is beyond frustration! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@vinshil Traditionally Southwest provides travel credits to customers when the flight was purchased with a gift card and later changed or cancelled.  I've never heard of them refunding back to a gift card, I doubt it's even possible.  Someone may have said it in an email, but people do make mistakes, especially when people who don't normally process refunds were brought in to help with the additional workload.  Did you receive the full amount you were expecting, but in travel credits?  If so, that seems like a fair resolution.  You can even transfer the credit to someone else if you need to by utilizing a little workaround with the Wanna Get Away Plus fares.  If you believe you are still owed an amount then that's a different story.

--TheMiddleSeat

vinshil
Explorer C

If they promised that they will return it back to gift card, they SHOULD return it to the gift card. And NO! I am still waiting for reimbursement for my travel disruption. It is $400! No word from southwest, only emails that someone will contact us soon (Its March!) or more and more Case numbers. It is very easy for you to say, its a 'fair resolution', when you are not the one who is in our shoes!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@vinshil Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is extremely unlikely you will get the credit back to a gift card.  As mentioned, the credits can still be transferred.  Good luck with the reimbursement, it sounds like Southwest is still working it and the continued contact is a good sign.

--TheMiddleSeat

23lambert
Explorer C

Same here! Our baggage was delayed for 10 days and I sent a reimbursement in on January 1st, 2023 for 3 people. I have called twice and have been given the run-around about they have a company looking at each individual receipt for approval and that I will have to be patient as they are overwhelmed. It's been almost  2 1/2 months since I submitted my claim Southwest! I was told both times that my case would be "escalated" and I have heard absolutely nothing. At this point, everyone else in my situation should not only be receiving the amount they claimed, but an additional interest amount. Come on SW, how would you feel about having to spend a decent amount of unexpected money, at Christmas, and not receiving ant