Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Committed/Registered Partner - what does this mean

Skierman
Explorer C

We are in a 7yr committed relationship and also have a joint-bank account, but we are not married. What does SW consider a Committed/Registered Partner? And, as such, would have the same flying benefits as if we were married?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Committed/Registered Partner - what does this mean

SWDigits
Aviator A
Clarifying question: are you asking about benefits for Southwest employees?

Customer | Home airport DCA

Skierman
Explorer C

Yes, I'm the domestic partner of a SW flight attendent

Thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Skierman wrote:

Yes, I'm the domestic partner of a SW flight attendent

Thanks!

I would think that the thing to do is have your partner ask the question of the SW HR department.

In lots of places, pre gay marriage being legalized, people could claim partnership and get access to various benefits. Marriage wasn't required because marriage wasn't always possible. After gay marriage was legalized, many companies did away with allowing  partner benefits, basically saying that  marriage is needed for both gay and straight.

I don't know what SW did, but the SW HR department does.

Skierman
Explorer C

but the question is what is considered a Committed/Registered Partner? What type of proof is needed? We aren't married so no license, we have separate bank accounts although we share expenses, and can't find anything that defines the term nor what proof is needed other than the employee saying "we share a bed, does that count?"

SWDigits
Aviator A

None of us here know that, we are primarily a community of customers.  I echo the comments from @dfwskier -- that is a question for Southwest Human Resources.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Skierman wrote:

but the question is what is considered a Committed/Registered Partner? What type of proof is needed? We aren't married so no license, we have separate bank accounts although we share expenses, and can't find anything that defines the term nor what proof is needed other than the employee saying "we share a bed, does that count?"

Is there a reason that you don't want to get an authoratative answer from the Southwest HR deparment? 

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@Skierman just ran across this wording on the Southwest Careers Benefits page (bold emphasis added by me):

Travel privileges

"Employees have free unlimited travel privileges for themselves and eligible dependents on Southwest Airlines. Eligible dependents include Spouse or Committed/Registered Partner, eligible Dependent Children under 19 years old (or up to 24 if a full-time student), and parents. And, with pass agreements with other airlines and discounts with rental car companies, hotels, theme parks, and more, Employees can choose their own adventure."