Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Boarding with A-List Preferred after A group boards

ksumner24
Explorer C

Can a Companion board with an A-List Preferred member after the A group boards?

I am A-List Preferred and my wife is my companion.  We had to make a last minute change to our flight and our boarding assignments were C12 and C13.

We waited for the A group to board and when the gate agent called for A-List Preferred both me and my wife attempted to board.  I was allowed to board but my wife was not.  Gate agent said my wife had to wait for the C group.  

Is this correct?  It was my understanding that the policy has changed and that a Companion can board with a A-List Preferred member.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Boarding with A-List Preferred after A group boards

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I think it would only apply when you both have A because the ops agent has no idea if you were booked together or just got lucky and got boarding numbers next to each other. They look for the A List mark it won’t show them your traveling together even though you may have the same last name. 

The best option at this point is the old saving seats method 

Re: Companion Boarding with A-List Preferred after A group boards

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yep, now that the system does assign sequential boarding positions for A-List and companion or CP holder and companion, agent can't tell she is your companion and has to rely on what the boarding pass says,  There's nothing there to "prove" she should board with you.  Either save seats or have companion buy upgraded boarding (if available) at the gate.

--TheMiddleSeat