Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Converting Travel Funds to LUV Vouchers

HitJazz
Explorer C

Question 1: How long after the expiration of Travel Funds are LUV Vouchers able to be purchased?

----------------------------------

I had $55 in expired Travel Funds and, at a purchase cost of $100, I would lose $45 in the purchase of a LUV Voucher - not a great financial decision. But I have another $400 in Travel Funds expiring soon which leads me to 

Question 2:  Can I purchase one LUV Voucher - at a total purchase cost of $100 - combining the two expired Travel Funds ($55 + $400) to result in a $455 LUV Voucher.

-------------------------

Question 3: If I had a $600 LUV Voucher and use it to purchase a $300 fare, is the remaining $300 still available for future use (prior to the voucher expiration date)?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Converting Travel Funds to LUV Vouchers

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The best option would have been to combine two travel funds before either expired, but sounds like it's too late for that. I don't think you can combine them after expiration while requesting a conversion to a LUV voucher so would have to pay $100 each. In other words, the $55 expired travel fund is trash now.

For the $600 fund you can split that across as many flights as you want/can. That's a lot of $49 flights! As you noted, the catch is all travel must be completed before the expiration date of the travel fund.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Oh, and there's no waiting period that I'm aware of. Once the travel fund is expired you can request a conversion. Keep in mind there's no guarantee Southwest will convert, it's done on a case by case basis, and the $100 fee could change.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Is there a length of time that is too long that we know of?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Is there a length of time that is too long that we know of?

My understanding is that you have 6 months after expiration of the travel funds in which to request reissue as a voucher. That voucher is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

HitJazz
Explorer C
Solution

I can confirm that after having spoken to a Southwest Rapid Rewards representative on the phone. 6 months to convert and then 6 months until expiration.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Converting expired travel funds to vouchers costs $100 per travel fund.

So standard advice here is to use multiple smaller travel funds to buy a ticket. Then cancel that ticket. End result: one travel fund and one $100 fee to convert to a voucher instead of $200 or $300 for 2 or 3..

You could potentialy do that 2 times (or 3) and turn 6 or 9 travel funds into one -- you'd just need to find a ticket expensive enough to do so.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Great questions!

1. Despite travel funds losing full value after their expiration, Southwest currently offers an exception to issue a Southwest LUV Voucher for a lesser value as a gesture of goodwill. This exception is only intended to mitigate the loss for larger amounts.
  2. You cannot purchase a LUV Voucher to combine travel funds.
  3. Yes. The travel funds associated with your new ticket will take on the expiration date of the LUV Voucher they were purchased with, and the remaining $300 on the LUV Voucher will keep the expiration. Keep in mind that as always, all travel needs to be completed by the expiration date.

Hope this was helpful! If you would like to see if your situation qualifies for an existing exception, we encourage you to contact us via the options in the link below.

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager