Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Copy of birth certificate?

jwallace
Explorer C

Hi all!   This might be an item that's at the discretion of the checkin folks, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

I've got an upcoming short flight with my 14mo old.    The problem is I don't have the physical birth certificate on hand -- it's in the hands of the State Department while we're waiting on a passport for kiddo and I don't expect to see it back until a couple weeks after the flight.

I do have a fairly good photo of the birth certificate on my phone -- heck I could even print it out.   Is that apt to fly with the checkin counter folks?   Obviously, I can print out any assorted medical records as well.

Just trying to see if I can skip a stop at the local county office to buy another birth certificate.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Copy of birth certificate?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

We always carry an original copy, but every time we fly, they always remind us they will accept a copy. Several agents have said they will accept a picture. 

SW’s site officially says, “A copy of the child's birth certificate is required to validate the age of all infants under two.“

-A List, Companion Pass holder

John_Taylor2
Explorer C

While minors traveling on domestic flights do not need to because most airlines will allow miners to board a plane without any form of ID. But parents should always reach out to the airline they plan on traveling with to confirm the proper form of identification in terms of a minor boarding a plane.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jwallace wrote:

Hi all!   This might be an item that's at the discretion of the checkin folks, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

I've got an upcoming short flight with my 14mo old.    The problem is I don't have the physical birth certificate on hand -- it's in the hands of the State Department while we're waiting on a passport for kiddo and I don't expect to see it back until a couple weeks after the flight.

I do have a fairly good photo of the birth certificate on my phone -- heck I could even print it out.   Is that apt to fly with the checkin counter folks?   Obviously, I can print out any assorted medical records as well.

Just trying to see if I can skip a stop at the local county office to buy another birth certificate.

If the child will be traveling as a lap child you'll need proof of age (to show the kid is under 2) which they may accept a photo of the birth certificate, you can also use any recent medical records fell check up or immunization.

The same would apply flying on a Child Fare.

Using a Wanna Get Away fare would not need any ID although we always stashed a duplicate in the diaper bag anyway.

My suggestion would be to print out the photo of the birth certificate if you go that route to have a paper copy instead of showing it on your phone for ease of passing it around to check in desk or TSA.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.