Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coronavirus Business as USUAL

Dallas_FD26
Explorer C

This morning as the world woke up to the news that many of our destinations being cancelled, we look for a sense of normalcy. I've used Southwest Airlines all of my adult life, and normally I wouldn't have any issues in how the company handles cancellations. As a company you are attempting to use this as a "Business As Usual" type of event; making reference to the wanna get away cancellation policy. These cancellations should be approached in a matter that states anything but, "business as usual." Funds should be refunded back to customers in full. Your cancellation policy is designed to alleviate the customer from making a personal decision of cancelling a scheduled flight. But in these circumstances, it's not the customer that's making a personal decision that's causing such cancellation; its circumstances that are affecting not only this nation but the world. STOP TREATING THIS AS A "BUSINESS AS USUAL' EVENT." It is not. This has left a bad taste in my mouth. If these funds are not refunded back to the original form of payment, my perception of this company will change. I will make a PERSONAL decision to cancel all ties to Southwest Airlines, including my credit cards.  Do THE RIGHT THING. If you do your customer base will not be affected going further. Acts like this will cause you to lose my business and many more who feel the same way going further.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Coronavirus Business as USUAL

gsking
Aviator C

Uh, what news?  Destinations being cancelled?  Nothing I can find indicates that.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No other domestic airline is doing more regarding refunds and credits than Southwest so are you implying you won't fly any domestic airline? Every airline is only offering credits on non-refundable fares, no cash refunds. That could change, but that's the current situation.

If airlines including Southwest cancel flights in the future, then a different policy would apply and people who are booked on those canceled flights should receive cash refunds. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Dallas_FD26
Explorer C

Don’t want to get on a back and forward with anyone, but it was brought to my attention that  there are domestic airlines that are doing more. Both United and Delta are refunding tickets. I’m unsure if you, as an individua, work or are sponsored by Southwest, but they got it wrong on this one.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Dallas_FD26 This is 100% not true.

No airline is offering cash refunds on non-refundable tickets. I do not work for Southwest, I'm just a customer like you.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Dallas_FD26 wrote:

Both United and Delta are refunding tickets. I’m unsure if you, as an individua, work or are sponsored by Southwest, but they got it wrong on this one.

TheMiddleSeat is correct. Someone said airlines are refunding. The another person, and another, and another. Then everyone accepted it as fact.

It is not.

Stay tuned, and airlines may start doing things differently. As of this moment, they are not.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Dallas_FD26 wrote:

As a company you are attempting to use this as a "Business As Usual" type of event; making reference to the wanna get away cancellation policy.

You do realize that NO AIRLINE is currently refunding non-refundable tickets, don't you.

You do understand that airlines other than southwest are simply dropping cancellation and change penalties - Southwest has not charged such fees since it was born in the early in the 1970's, don't you.

You can always complain to the airline. Here's how:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

If you cancel, you get a travel voucher good for use for future travel -- just like every other airline.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think, sadly, all airline are severely hurting right now, and unless one carrier decides to issue refunds then none will. In the absence of a national emergency declaration (which may be coming) and/or a ban or limited bans on domestic travel, I doubt policy will be changed unilaterally. Hopefully agents are being empowered to make exceptions in special cases, such as Group Travel bookings. Keep watching as things are changing daily.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Southwest has one of the best cancellation / refund / no fees policies in the entire airline industry, so you are correct, it is "business as usual" while the other airlines are adapting Southwest's policies during the coronavirus outbreak.

--Jessica