Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coronavirus, Southwest Just Doesn't Get It

julie5009
Explorer C

I have briefly read through so many frustrations about how Southwest is approaching flight changes/cancellations in the face of the coronavirus.

I, like many of you, are profoundly disappointed at any attempt at true customer service.  Perhaps cancelling of all the NCAA sporting events throughout the country does not mean anything to them, but if they stop and think that all these events will happen next year, but SWA will not allow any of our funds to be available.

I believe this is the end of my relationship with SWA.  I would rather pay for my luggage than be treated like this.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Coronavirus, Southwest Just Doesn't Get It

bec102896
Aviator A

at this time there isn't one airline refunding flights. The other airlines are doing the same exact thing as Southwest which is allowing people to use the funds on a flight within a year from when they originally bought there flight. The big difference is southwest has always allowed people to change or cancel a flight without a fee the other airlines are only allowing this temporarily. 

If you would like to discuss your specific situation with southwest I would reach out though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

billbua
Explorer C

My spouse and I had to cancel our flight to San Juan because the cruise line on which we were to traveling canceled the cruise. To my surprise, I found out that the flight fund I saw was only good through 10/31/20, not one full year. Secondly, it appears I got no credit for my spouse; just for me. Not fair.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@billbua wrote:

My spouse and I had to cancel our flight to San Juan because the cruise line on which we were to traveling canceled the cruise. To my surprise, I found out that the flight fund I saw was only good through 10/31/20, not one full year. Secondly, it appears I got no credit for my spouse; just for me. Not fair.

The travel fund is valid for a year from when you originally bought your ticket so my guess is you bought your flight back in October which is why it would expire then. 

If you and your spouse were on the same confirmation number the credit should be half for each of you (if the booking was for 2 people) example you buy a flight for $500 total for 2 passengers then you cancel  adult 1 would have $250 and adult 2 would have $250. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@billbua wrote:

The travel fund is valid for a year from when you originally bought your ticket so my guess is you bought your flight back in October which is why it would expire then. 

If you and your spouse were on the same confirmation number the credit should be half for each of you (if the booking was for 2 people) example you buy a flight for $500 total for 2 passengers then you cancel  adult 1 would have $250 and adult 2 would have $250. 

-Blake

To add to that, your wife's share of the travel funds would show up in her RR account.

Have her log in. After logging in go to "my account," hit enter, and any available travel funds will be in the "travel funds" section of the ensuing page.

billbua
Explorer C

hehehe ..... you presume I have a wife rather than a husband.  But regardless, he should have $433.80 in his travel fund?

SWDigits
Aviator A

The "accounting" for the tickets is done at the individual passenger level.

Customer | Home airport DCA