Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coronavirus Update

bec102896
Aviator A
Coronavirus Update 

Update current as of March 2nd, 2020 at 8 p.m. CT.

Southwest Closely Monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Southwest does not serve Europe or Asia and, at this time, there are no travel restrictions to any of the locations we serve.  We have not suspended any scheduled flights or routes due to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Of course, Southwest will continue to closely monitor the situation, making any adjustments to our operations, as necessary or required.

Change and Cancellation Fee Policies:

Southwest Airlines never charges Customers a fee to change or cancel their flight.  If a Customer’s plans change, or they decide they no longer want to travel, the funds used to pay for their flight can be applied to future travel – as long as they cancel their flight at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.  The funds are valid for future travel for up to one year from the date the ticket was issued. More information on policies related to travel funds can be found on Southwest.com. We hope these policies provide our Customers with flexibility and peace of mind as they plan their travel.

Aircraft Cleaning:

Southwest Airlines aircraft are maintained in accordance with an established program aimed at providing a clean and inviting cabin environment. Each aircraft is tidied between flights and subsequently undergoes a comprehensive program every night that includes cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting the aircraft cabin and lavatories.  These procedures meet or exceed recommendations from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Personal Safety Recommendations:

We recommend the CDC’s website as a resource for ways that Customers can best protect themselves from becoming ill. Additionally, Customers are encouraged to wash their hands frequently and use hand sanitizer and/or anti-bacterial wipes when traveling.

Ongoing Updates:

As Southwest makes any updates they will be available on Southwest’s homepage via www.southwest.com.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Coronavirus Update

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:
Coronavirus Update 

Update current as of March 2nd, 2020 at 8 p.m. CT.

Southwest Closely Monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Southwest does not serve Europe or Asia and, at this time, there are no travel restrictions to any of the locations we serve.  We have not suspended any scheduled flights or routes due to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Of course, Southwest will continue to closely monitor the situation, making any adjustments to our operations, as necessary or required.

Change and Cancellation Fee Policies:

Southwest Airlines never charges Customers a fee to change or cancel their flight.  If a Customer’s plans change, or they decide they no longer want to travel, the funds used to pay for their flight can be applied to future travel – as long as they cancel their flight at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.  The funds are valid for future travel for up to one year from the date the ticket was issued. More information on policies related to travel funds can be found on Southwest.com. We hope these policies provide our Customers with flexibility and peace of mind as they plan their travel.

Aircraft Cleaning:

Southwest Airlines aircraft are maintained in accordance with an established program aimed at providing a clean and inviting cabin environment. Each aircraft is tidied between flights and subsequently undergoes a comprehensive program every night that includes cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting the aircraft cabin and lavatories.  These procedures meet or exceed recommendations from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Personal Safety Recommendations:

We recommend the CDC’s website as a resource for ways that Customers can best protect themselves from becoming ill. Additionally, Customers are encouraged to wash their hands frequently and use hand sanitizer and/or anti-bacterial wipes when traveling.

Ongoing Updates:

As Southwest makes any updates they will be available on Southwest’s homepage via www.southwest.com.

I'm glad that Southwest has issued a statement, even if it's just to restate existing policy. Communication is especially important right now, and hopefully these types of updates will help calm customer concerns.

Personally, I have a couple of suggestions for clarity. Since the travel funds redemption time frame can be tricky for some customers, I think it's a good idea to follow, "The funds are valid for future travel for up to one year from the date the ticket was issued," with a specific direction for individuals to check their confirmation materials, as well as the recently introduced website functionality, to determine the absolute expiration date for their funds. This would be a fantastic opportunity to remind customers of this new website functionality, and would definitely be more helpful than the generic direction to check policies online.

Another suggestion would be to include links to fact-based information regarding virus protection guidelines. But given that the situation continues to change (and that some previously reputable official resources can't necessarily be trusted these days), I understand their reticence.

I expect we'll see additional updates as the situation continues to develop.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Here are my recommendations, and I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but I do travel a bit.

1. Bring your own food and drinks. But them at the expensive gift shop past security. You don't want to drink water or coffee or tea made on the plane and you don't want to drink from a cup handed to you by a flight attendant holding the brim of the cup who, just before takeoff, has literally ran their hands across the front of all of the overhead bins on the plane.

2. Bring your own hand sanitize. Buy a small travel site bottle and bring it with you in your carry on. Use it before you eat or drink anything while on the plane and after visiting the plane's bathroom. 

3. Don't touch anything or put anything in the seat back compartment. 

4. Don't use or even touch any airplane blankets or pillows.

I'm not for wiping down the seat and try as I don't fancy rubbing my own hands across these dirty surfaces. I don't use the tray and I wear clothing and a light hoodie so that my own skin doesn't come in contact with the seat.

Any other suggestions?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Follow this link to SW's site for the most up to date info.

-A List, Companion Pass holder