Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Covid At Home Test

jollifjt
Explorer C

Has anyone heard of any issues getting the At-Home tests through customs in Jamaica upon arrival?  Any issues with the airlines at check-in  for departure back to the US?

gsking
Aviator C

We used the at home test to get out of Mexico with no issues.   I don't see why customs would care. 

gsking
Aviator C

@IslandGirl wrote:

You can buy them online at emed.com.  There are some very similar test kits they are now selling at Walmart and other big box stores but I remember reading somewhere that those are not valid for re-entry into the US from international travel.  The ones you buy online from emed.com  definitely work for re-entry. 

Correct.   The "self test" will not work.   The "at home test" is more expensive but includes the remote observation that makes it authorized. 

Sadly,  I could only find them to be sold on six packs, locked to one person.   I don't need that many. 

hildy
Explorer C

@gsking wrote:

Sadly,  I could only find them to be sold on six packs, locked to one person.   I don't need that many. 

Oh no. emed.com 6-pack of tests will only work for one individual?  Yikes. I'm glad I didn't order that for the entire family then.  Anyone out there know of another solution?  I only need this one time for a 2-4 people.

IslandGirl
Explorer A

Even though it says it is for one person, we have bought the 6 pack four different times and 6 different people have used the tests.  One person does have to buy them and then each individual takes a kit, creates (or logs into) both an emed account and a Navica account.  Emed is the one who administers the test (they watch you live through your device's camera) and Navica is the app that the results go to that you show at the airport.  It is confusing on the emed site but 6 people can definitely used the 6 kits. 

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah,  I called them.   Something about prescribing it for each person... even though the box comes with 6 unmarked tests.  Really annoying and stupid,  if you ask me.

Edit:  Oh great... the person I talked to was an idiot... he sounded like it.   I think I'll let them know they suck.

I didnt see any other option.   We'll use 2 of the 6 tests,  and have the rest as backup.   Soon I suspect they'll eliminate the need to test to enter the US if you're vaccinated.   Too bad the test isn't useful for flying to most destinations...I think they all require PCR.

IslandGirl
Explorer A

They have to say that because the tests are "prescribed" to the one person who orders them so they are just covering their @#$^%   🙂  

We have never had a problem..... and hopefully someday there won't be a need for a test!

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah, they still state everyone needs their own "prescribed" box. 

More evidence this whole thing is being exploited for profit. 

agcaravella
Explorer C

Thanks so much for the feedback on the emed tests. I would love being able to just self administer the covid tests versus having them done at the resort when we are in Mexico. Did you have any issues with the Southwest airport staff in Mexico accepting the test results?

Also do you think I would be able to set up logins for myself and my two daughters with one six pack or are you only allowed one login per six pack? I understand they need to stay compliant and say you can only use the six pack for the person ordering the test but wondering if there is a limit on accounts you can create? Thanks!!

IslandGirl
Explorer A

Hi.  We had no problems with SW accepting the test results in the Cancun airport.  Very easy.  As far as the 6 pack, we had 6 different people use the tests, each with their own log-in identity. We have done this 4 times so far since the test requirement was enacted, each time without a hitch.  One time, my test came back inconclusive (and fortunately we had a back up test or we would have had to go get a test somewhere) and emed sent me a replacement test free of charge.  Amazing customer service!!  On the inconclusive test, I am fairly certain it was my fault.  It says to drop X number of drops into the little testing tray and I think I shorted it by one drop.  The little bottle is VERY hard to squeeze and I couldn't tell if I did 5 or 6 drops so I probably shorted it by a drop.  Keep very close attention to that.  I didn't think it would be that sensitive but I guess it was. Hope this helps!