Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Covid At Home Test

IslandGirl
Explorer A

No, they did not turn us away.  They accepted the test results immediately.  After you take the test, the results show up on the app on your phone.  You just show them that.  All they checked for was the date the test was taken and the results.  

We ordered the tests online and they came in 2 or 3 days, I can't quite remember.  

Hope this helps! 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@IslandGirl wrote:

To answer my own question and for anybody's use....the rapid at-home Covid test we used was accepted by Southwest and was a breeze to administer and get through the airport with. No Dr. appt or expensive test required!  We travel to Mexico once or twice a month, we will be using the at-home test from now on! 

That's good to know! I didn't realize at home tests were becoming more popular. Where did you purchase your test? 

--Jessica

spatters
Explorer C

Has anyone else successfully used such a test for US re-entry?  I'm going to Costa Rica in July, and my company is offering Cue at-home Covid tests to all employees.  (https://www.cuehealth.com/),  It would be great to be able to use that, but I'd hate to count on it and only find out at boarding time that it was insufficient.

mcortez
Explorer C

Wondering the same. I'm going to Costa Rica in a few days and would like to know if anyone has used the eMed/BinaxNow self-test kit for re-entry to the US. I am hoping that Southwest agents in Costa Rica are well aware that this is now accepted by the US government for re-entry.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @mcortez! Southwest follows the requirements of the order issued back in January by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Hoping this helps--I found this on the website:

Does a self-test meet the conditions of the Order?

International air passengers traveling to the United States can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.
Nicole
Community Manager

dsblume
Explorer C

I am traveling to Costa Rica (Liberia airport) in a few weeks. Has anyone had success using the eMed self-test results for US re-entryat the Liberia airport on SW? Do they accept the results in the app?

gsking
Aviator C

@dsblume wrote:

I am traveling to Costa Rica (Liberia airport) in a few weeks. Has anyone had success using the eMed self-test results for US re-entryat the Liberia airport on SW? Do they accept the results in the app?

It is SW that has to accept it,  not the airport.  So I don't see why they would be less likely to accept it at any particular airport.   They didn't give mine a second glance.   

But I guess it can't hurt to find testimony from your airport. 

dsblume
Explorer C

Has anyone had success with SW accepting the home test in Costa Rica?

IslandGirl
Explorer A

You can buy them online at emed.com.  There are some very similar test kits they are now selling at Walmart and other big box stores but I remember reading somewhere that those are not valid for re-entry into the US from international travel.  The ones you buy online from emed.com  definitely work for re-entry. 

IslandGirl
Explorer A

One thing to note - I have recommended this product to all my friends traveling to Mexico and one group got "busted" in Mexico for having them.  The customs agent said they were "illegal" and confiscated them.  This is not true - I asked a Dr. there, it was just that one customs agent being a jerk.  If you are going to Mexico, just try to "re-identify" them - they fit perfectly in a Ritz Cracker box! 🙂