Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Covid test for domestic flight?

Abigailmay
Explorer C

I'm flying from Little Rock to Chicago this Sunday, I've read a few conflicting statements saying if I need to be tested for Covid to fly domestically, I'm only half vaccinated (waiting for my second dose). So do I need to be tested 3 days in advance, a day in advance, or not at all? Will I be allowed to fly if I'm not tested or my results don't come back in time?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Covid test for domestic flight?

dfwskier
Aviator A

No COVID test is required to fly in the lower 48.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would love to hear where you are reading you would need to be tested or be vaccinated to travel domestically.  This question keeps popping up, but no one has pointed to a source.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Some cities might have a travel advisory, like Chicago. So if Arkansas is on Chicago’s list there could be a municipal requirement, but the airlines are not verifying on behalf of any local jurisdictions domestically.

I’m not sure if this is what people may be seeing?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

I would love to hear where you are reading you would need to be tested or be vaccinated to travel domestically.  This question keeps popping up, but no one has pointed to a source.

--TheMiddleSeat

Same! Getting a test or COVID vaccine to fly has never once been a thing in the United States *unless* you are traveling from Hawaii into the US. 

I think it's just something that people are assuming they need, because I mean for goodness sake, last year you could have gotten in "trouble" if you literally drove across certain state lines for awhile. 

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I'm no Constitutional scholar, but I always thought that the authority to regulate interstate commerce (including travel) belonged to the Federal government. While I support trying to stop the spread of COVID, I don't understand how Hawaii can do this.

gsking
Aviator C

Correction... INTO Hawaii from the other states.   

Or into PR as well. 

But not back into the states from either... only from other countries.