Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Customer of size traveling on points?

bjreick
Explorer C

My son is a customer of size and rarely flies.  Please tell me if the following scenario is correct.

I plan to pay for my ticket.  I would book 2 tickets (customer of size) for him using my points.  Then after the trip, I would call Southwest and request the extra seat points be refunded back into my account. Also, if his fares decrease, I could change the flight and the points would go back into my account automatically.  Right?  It sounds easier to me to use my points rather than having my money tied up for several months.  Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Customer of size traveling on points?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bjreick wrote:

My son is a customer of size and rarely flies.  Please tell me if the following scenario is correct.

I plan to pay for my ticket.  I would book 2 tickets (customer of size) for him using my points.  Then after the trip, I would call Southwest and request the extra seat points be refunded back into my account. Also, if his fares decrease, I could change the flight and the points would go back into my account automatically.  Right?  It sounds easier to me to use my points rather than having my money tied up for several months.  Thank you.

I would suggest to confirm this approach by logging into the app and using the live chat feature. Someone there can talk with you about this approach and they'll have access to your account information. (As opposed to calling or social media where you have to tell them your account info.)

This sounds correct as you have described, although I've mainly heard of customers of size who paid cash getting a refund, it makes sense that it would work the same way with points but maybe you can confirm in Live Chat that this will work as intended.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bjreick
Explorer C

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

SWDigits
Aviator A
I've seen several other discussion threads about the general policy and implementation but I don't recall seeing others with your proposed points approach. The Southwest team should be able to help you out.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bjreick
Explorer C

Does the Southwest team monitor these forums? Or do I just call the 800 number?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

There are Southwest employees on the forum but you will usually be referred to customer service for individual travel questions like yours.  You can call the 800 number though I agree with @DancingDavidE that the chat function is my go to resource.  I've only used it once but there was a chat queue of two people in front of me that moved very quickly versus a long estimated hold time on the phone.  When you use the chat function they will automatically have your information and should have the ability to implement solutions for you (they made flight changes for me).

To use chat open the Southwest app on your phone > tap the three horizontal lines on the top left corner > then scroll down to the "Contact Us" section > and click on "Chat".  The only thing I don't like about using the chat function is that it's a little inconvenient to type lots of detail using the phone -- I hope they one day add chat to the web site too.

Customer | Home airport DCA