Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Customer service complaint

Jd6956
Explorer C

Southwest customer service,

June 13, 2018

I’m not sure which of your ‘friendly flight attendants’  it was that was sitting in the back of the plane, complaining about having to wait for 16 people to get on board that were on a late arriving flight from Las Vegas to Orange County.  Flight 4615 from Las Vegas got to the gate to deplane at the time that Flight 1871 was scheduled to take off from Orange County to Oakland. The ‘friendly flight attendant’ was complaining to her Co-worker about having to wait for us, And that Their plane was not supposed to be a full flight! 

I’m sorry your flight was a little late getting into Oakland!  What a horrible inconvenience!

Here’s how my day went .....  I had a nonstop direct flight from Las Vegas to Oakland leaving Las Vegas around noon landing in Oakland at 1:30 PM.  My flight was canceled! I had to scramble to get a new flight home!  Needing to get home sooner than later,  we rebooked on a flight that was not a direct fight. It routed us through Orange County,  And added three hours to our travel time! 

Two adults and two children scattered through the plane, Instead of flying the flight that we booked where we were in the B section and could have sat together. Instead of us sitting with even one adult and a child, we had our young girls sitting with strangers, while the ‘friendly flight attendant’ (who gets paid to serve us while we are guests on your flight), was complaining about being inconvenienced! How Rude!

There are choices when you fly,  next time we fly, we will be looking into some of those different choices!

Jane Dunn

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Customer service complaint

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As this Community is mostly customer to customer conversations, you'll want to contact Southwest via phone or mail if you would like them to be aware of your complaint.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry you had a bad experience 

You can go to the Southwest "Contact Us" page for several options or you can send southwest a private message on Twitter or Facebook and they can address your complaint. 

Blake 

tejK
Explorer C

My wife and I very reluctantly flew to Nashville and back this past weekend to see

my wife's brother who has dying of cancer and whom she has not seen in many years.

Saturdays, Sept 19ths flights #s 1323 and 0171 went great for two people with many health issues.

On both flights we witnesses the the flight crews enforcing the mandatory wearing of

facial masks. Thank you. Sundays, Sept. 20th, return flight #2052 it was horrifying. The passenger 

directly behind me was "coughing up a lung" and I stood up to see him, he did not have a face covering on. Then when I needed to use the bathroom in the back from my seat 4D,

I counted 17 passengers, who were not eating or drinking, without  masks covering their

mouths. I did not count those not covering their nose. The passenger in 3C hung his surgical mask from one ear. Two flight attendants collecting trash, one immediately

after each another, the first taking his trash and neither said anything to him about his

mask.  My wife pushed the blue attendant button and told a crewperson that the mandatory

mask policy is being largely ignored and not enforced. A few minutes later a voice from

the cockpit that was very hard to understand said something about masks.

I believe that every flight attendant on board would have zero problems telling any passenger to extinguish the cigarette that they just lite up.. Why is it impossible for some of your crewmembers to enforce the mandatory mask policy.  I would rather breathe some

second hand smoke than possibly be exposed to the covid-19 virus. None of your passengers should have to do either.

Tom Kuspa

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@tejK wrote:

My wife and I very reluctantly flew to Nashville and back this past weekend to see

my wife's brother who has dying of cancer and whom she has not seen in many years.

Saturdays, Sept 19ths flights #s 1323 and 0171 went great for two people with many health issues.

On both flights we witnesses the the flight crews enforcing the mandatory wearing of

facial masks. Thank you. Sundays, Sept. 20th, return flight #2052 it was horrifying. The passenger 

directly behind me was "coughing up a lung" and I stood up to see him, he did not have a face covering on. Then when I needed to use the bathroom in the back from my seat 4D,

I counted 17 passengers, who were not eating or drinking, without  masks covering their

mouths. I did not count those not covering their nose. The passenger in 3C hung his surgical mask from one ear. Two flight attendants collecting trash, one immediately

after each another, the first taking his trash and neither said anything to him about his

mask.  My wife pushed the blue attendant button and told a crewperson that the mandatory

mask policy is being largely ignored and not enforced. A few minutes later a voice from

the cockpit that was very hard to understand said something about masks.

I believe that every flight attendant on board would have zero problems telling any passenger to extinguish the cigarette that they just lite up.. Why is it impossible for some of your crewmembers to enforce the mandatory mask policy.  I would rather breathe some

second hand smoke than possibly be exposed to the covid-19 virus. None of your passengers should have to do either.

Tom Kuspa

That's really unfortunate. I recommend you file a complaint directly with Southwest (this is more a customer-to-customer forum).

How to email Southwest with a general complaint? 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@tejK, we are very sorry to hear this as our policy requires masks to be worn over Passengers' noses and mouths throughout all phases of travel unless they are eating or drinking. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I'm sorry about the poor experience that you had on your flight. The flight attendant complaining within earshot of the Customers was certainly unprofessional and definitely not indicative of Southwest flight attendants in general.

The Southwest Community exists as a place for Customer-to-Customer interactions. I suggest that you contact Southwest Airlines Customer Relations with your complaint at 855-234-4654 or email them by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the Southwest homepage.

Once again, sorry about your bad experience on Southwest. I fly on many of those "different choices" myself and have always found Southwest to be consistently the best.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Jd6956   As everyone else, we are sorry to hear of this incident.  Sadly, instead of enjoying the view from the window, my flights are like yours, seeing if I can catch those without a mask.  Sad, but true.  I've not really been able to.  What I do notice here, and yes, this is going to seem a bit political, but on flights that are to and from states where government leans towards a certain party that really aren't backing the science of mask-wearing, there seem to be these complaints.  NO, I have no solution other than to tell you that I won't fly to those areas, PERIOD.  I'm a runner, and there are some good running events coming up in Florida that I don't even entertain because of the lack of enforcement and attitude towards masks.  And I love running in Florida very much.  So like you, I had to take all that into consideration since I have a medical condition of concern as well.  I know my issue doesn't compare to the need to see someone with cancer, but it's the reality of life right now.  To be honest, I've been in the back of the plane about 5 years ago where a young lady was doing one of those electronic cigs and was disgusted that she got away with it as long as she did.  And the way it was handled was an announcement over the intercom, not a personal confrontation.  I mention that to say, yes, I do know that F.A. don't always address issues head-on.   I wish the person who is ill the best and hope for a recovery.  

Thiliphk
Explorer C

Southwest Team - We had unpleasant experience first time with your Staff ( old Lady ) in Midway Chicago Airport, who’s scheduled to work for Flight 1079 to San Antonio. 

Your support staff ( old lady ) was arrogant and behaving too aggressively with our family forcing our toddler to wear mask. She did not let us inside though our little baby was screaming to wear mask.

Such an unprofessional and no humanity. We work in a professional environment and aware of the COVID precautions and CDC protocol doesn’t insist toddler to wear mask. 

The complete crowd in the lane was suggesting her  and whatever your staff does reflects racism. This is completely unacceptable.

hoping to see this shall help atleast educating your staffs to stop these unethical behavior further in other locations and do not spoil reputation of southwest services 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Thiliphk

1. As stated at least 3 times earlier in the thread, this is a customer to customer forum. To provide a comment directly to Southwest you should contact them Contact Customer Relations

2. Federal law requires all passengers 2 years and older to wear a mask. Despite multiple notifications of this on southwest.com perhaps you were not aware before flying. Southwest must enforce the requirement.

3. Referring to someone as "old lady" doesn't help anyone feel any sympathy for you.

--TheMiddleSeat