Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Check In baggage

ziahasan2241
Explorer C

Hi I was traveling from Austin TX to Pittsburgh, PA on 05-21-2021  by Flight 586, the flight was late and we reached at the Pittsburgh air port midnight 00:00 hours or may be after. Upon arrival  I found one of my 4 luggages is damaged heavily and the  bottom of a large luggage was torn apart and some part of the luggage was totally missing and few clothing were damaged to an extent which had to be thrown away. I was given a damaged luggage receipt from the Southwest Baggage handler in that same night, I was told that I should order for a replacement luggage But I do not know how am I going to claim and get that immediately. Can anyone give me a suggestion how to order for a new luggage. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Damaged Check In baggage

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I'm not 100% sure but did you get a credit to buy new luggage? If so, you could do it anywhere.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Explorer C

My **bleep** brand new luggage is DAMAGED!!! I paid 300dollars for my luggage and it is now jacked up!! Is that why we get 2 bags free? You tip the person who curbside checks you in...but the internal luggage carriers must be mad as my NEW luggage is trash now........................what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!! So MAD. My husbands luggage has a cracked wheel and it will NOT roll anymore ...............REALLY so mad right now after a fantastic trip!! Flight 2004 Las Vegas to Chicago Midway.................so disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've never understood paying $300 for baggage. Just doesn't seem like a wise decision to me. Did you file a claim at the airport? I believe you have only a few hours to do so.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@TheMiddleSeat I'm planning on buying a $600 bag from Briggs & Riley soon. Lifetime, no questions asked warranty. The airline can flatten it with a steamroller, and it is covered. I bought a carry-on from them a couple of months ago. It is top quality. I got tired of replacing a $100 bag every year. Sometimes, buying cheap is buying expensive.

Damaged Check In baggage

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@ziahasan2241 @20477875843 @bwallet I'm not going to dismiss you for using your money to buy whatever you want, good on you.  But since the beginning of time (and a commercial of a gorilla just throwing bags onto a plane) it's known that accepting a plane ticket has many risks, one being damaged luggage should you check it, it's a no-brainer.  The relief to that is that you can make a claim against the airlines and get reimbursed, however, it may be a drawn-out process.  I will just give you my direction on the luggage issues since I care not about what people think of my luggage and don't place travel luggage on a fashion statement level.  I buy a 10-15 dollar decent bag from goodwill.  It helps out the Goodwill foundation which employees people that might not otherwise get a job.  The bag normally lasts about 2-3 years and I'm really worry-free about if it ever becomes damaged.  And since I shop often at Goodwill or other stores of this nature that benefit our Veterans, I'm in there often and not a trip just to buy luggage.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@SWFlyer007 I'm not disagreeing with you. Luggage doesn't last. I'm just taking a different tact and spending more for bags that will be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer no matter what happens to them.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@bwallet 🤘