Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Stroller

stacy5203
Explorer C

I am not a happy customer right now.  My stoller was damaged and I called the 1800 number and they told me I had to call the local airport to file a claim. I called multiple times today and left message and not one person called me back.  My stoller has a back that it travels in with padding.  I am not sure how they broke the handle off it.  The costumer said it wouldnt be problem to get it replaced.  But why i cant get a hold of anybody id beyond me.  Poor costumer service from southwest.  I am rewards member we might be leaving southwest becuase of this issue.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Damaged Stroller

franktravel
Aviator B

From Southwest Airlines FAQ:

"If your baggage has been lost, damaged, or delayed, you must report this, in person, at the Southwest Airlines Baggage Service Office within four hours of your arrival at your destination. The Southwest Airlines Baggage Service Office is located in the baggage claim area or the ticket counter at the airport." 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There is also a limited release if you gate check. But it would have been best to bring the damaged stroller to the baggage counter after arrival, or I guess as a lesson learned for anyone else reading this thread for next time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It doesn't matter if you report the damage at the airport within 4 hours (as required with damages to other types of baggage) or if you check at the desk or gate.

Southwest doesn't cover damage to strollers.

Strollers and Child Restraint Systems (CRSs) or car seats

Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.

The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.

The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate. Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRS’s or car seats.

An optional Southwest-branded reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for a $17 onetime fee. Bag dimensions are 42”X20.5X12.5”.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

That sounds right...loss would still apply, but not damage.

We invested heavily in the Southwest blue bags to avoid the inevitable scuffing.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Scuffing would be expected. 

Damages leaving the stroller or car seat unusable, despite being packed in a bag before checked (even a padded one, as the OP used) should not. However, they are frequently reported, and, sadly, not covered by Southwest in any situation.  

If they lose your stroller it's covered.

If they smash it to bits and hand you back the broken parts, it's not.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

One thing I would like to see is more consistecy with in person warnings about this. I know that it’s published that they don’t cover damage to baby items, but I’ve only had one employee ever to tell me this verbally as we were checking items. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

One thing I would like to see is more consistecy with in person warnings about this. I know that it’s published that they don’t cover damage to baby items, but I’ve only had one employee ever to tell me this verbally as we were checking items. 

They do present the waiver, but they don't get into detail as @chgoflyer has mentioned in a previous post "they can smash it to bits and hand you the remains in a bucket" according the waiver, but if they lose it then they owe you. (Paraphrased)

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@elijahbrantley that's great feedback - definitely the kind of thing we can pass along and make sure we address in training. 

Cgbl00m
Explorer C

Is the waiver provided to passengers in accessible format?   For instance as a legally blind person, would I receive the waiver in a format I could access and know that when I arrived at my destination and SWA has totally destroyed my baby’s stroller, I have no way recourse.  And no way to carry my child and handle my guide Dog.