Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Deboarding

drewstu
Explorer C

My family and I flew last Saturday from SFO to Phoenix, and the boarding experience was great.  However, when we landed, the deboarding process was scary and frustrating.

When we landed, there was no process, it was chaos, and it was concerning.  

I would strongly suggest that deboarding follow the same rigor has boarding. Where only 10 folks at a time stand up by row, and that everyone else stay seated.  

It  was neverwracking getting off the plane. Thank you.

A Loyal A List Preferred and Companion Pass Member

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Deboarding

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Hey there,

Sorry to hear of this. This is something you'll want to share with the airline directly, either by email or DMing on social media so this process can be improved as best as possible.

Keep in mind everyone always wants to leave at the same time, though. Hope this goes better for you next time.

Stay safe!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

gsking
Aviator C

I wish they would follow these simple rules ALL THE TIME.   You think it saves anyone any time getting off the plane?  Nope.  In fact, it takes everyone longer to wait for the dullards in front of them who block the whole row.

Now you realize how clueless and selfish most people are.  Even in light of a pandemic, they can't just stay seated. 

I would love it if it would incentivize SWA to start charging for overhead bin space.  Check your bags (it's free already!) or put stuff under the seat.  No fighting for bin space, blocking the aisle, and more ability for the FA's to enforce not putting jackets etc. in the overhead bins.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Totally against charging for overhead bin space.  There has got to be a better way for SW to confront the issue without adding fees.  Fewer fees are the ONLY reason I fly SW in the first place.    I hear what you're saying, but it's why I seat as close to the front as I can, and being an A-List does help in that.  Thanks for bringing this up though, hopefully, SW sees the comment and starts dialog on a solution. 

gsking
Aviator C

I hear you....fees are like fines...and shouldn't be the answer.  But there's literally no way to make people be polite.  Even a deadly virus can't stop people from being brainless.

I look forward to the day my FA grabs a jacket or purse out of the overhead and drops it on a passenger's lap, saying "I told YOU personal items do not belong in the overhead bin".

Or maybe he/she stands up at the end of the flight and says "How about everyone only stands up when there's room?"  Or "Let the aisle clear behind you if you have to take time to clear your things"

I will not block the aisle if the person behind me is ready to deboard.  Unfortunately, most other people aren't quite so benevolent.   Many even force themselves a few rows back to get their overhead bag.  Seriously selfish.  I'm pretty sure if they are flying SW, they aren't so important that they can't wait 15 seconds on the plane rather than holding up everyone else.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@drewstu wrote:

My family and I flew last Saturday from SFO to Phoenix, and the boarding experience was great.  However, when we landed, the deboarding process was scary and frustrating.

When we landed, there was no process, it was chaos, and it was concerning.  

I had a flight last Wednesday that was mostly that way.

What did I do?  I created my own social distancing by deciding when to get off. With so few people travelling that was pretty easy to do.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

A long long time ago SW stewardesses would announce, as the jet taxied to the gate, “Please remain seated until the Captain has turned off the seatbelt sign. Then jump into the aisle and push and shove your way forward. Remember the harder you push the faster you get off.”

kwCM
Explorer C

5/12 - I observed many passengers crowded in aisle prepared to exit plane. I was hopeful that flight attendant would announce exit by rows. Many us remained seated until there was ample space to exit.  

Deboarding

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm waiting for a reply from SouthWest........!!!

fly-LUV
Explorer C

My inflight experience last week unfortunately confirmed the chaotic deboarding. It is unacceptable for SWA not to has done anything to protect fliers' health and safety during the pandemic. The SOCIAL-CROWDING during disordered deplaning becomes the biggest risk of viral-transmission in flight. The crowded aisle during deboarding could disturb the purified air circulation pattern, which could consequently spread the "dirty" air. The inflight protocols during such special times should be modified to have flight attendants guide the orderly deboarding until the last passenger exits the cabin door. SWA can provide better inflight services. 

Thank you.

Keep safety and health while flying Southwest,