Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

December 1 Seating Policy

Abarca1
Explorer B

Dear Southwest,

We have a number of trips in December and January we will be canceling today.

I hope the company reconsiders.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: December 1 Seating Policy

jksobonya
Aviator A

I hope you'll reconsider! Flying on an airplane, all things considered, even in a COVID-19 world, is still incredibly safe. Articles have been written that the chances of catching COVID-19 while on an airplane is virtually non-existent. With that said, Southwest may update their middle seat policy to extend beyond November 30, but with many flights still well below normal capacity levels, it is very probable that you will have an empty seat - or even empty row - anyway.

Thanks,

Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

Also, this was posted on Southwest's social media channels today: 

After November 30, Southwest will unblock the middle seats on our flights. This decision was not made lightly and comes as the growing body of data and research, including from Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Department of Defense, and the International Air Transport Association, supports that face masks and enhanced cleaning, coupled with HEPA filtration of cabin air, are highly effective measures to protect against the transmission of COVID-19 onboard. We will continue to take a science-based approach as we evaluate our procedures moving forward and will collaborate with the Stanford University School of Medicine for insights that will help us evolve our policies. Learn more about the research and data regarding the effectiveness of multi-layered protective measures during air travel:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/Letting-Research-Guide-our-Southwest-Promise/ba-p/112652?fbc... 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Abarca1 wrote:

Dear Southwest,

We have a number of trips in December and January we will be canceling today.

I hope the company reconsiders.

Sorry to hear that. Do you plan on flying another carrier?

Do you plan on driving? If so you do realize the chances of you getting hurt or killed in your car are far greater than in the sky?

Or do simply plan not to travel?

Be sure to keep track of your travel fund expiration dates - one year from the date you PURCHASED your tickets.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I hate to hear this. Unfortunately, your only option with empty middle seats would be Delta; like SW, they have taken pretty substantial COVID measures to protect passengers.

You mention “we.” What is your party size? If there are three of you, you could occupy a whole row with little to no impact from the middle seat policy change; just a thought.

If you would like to share your concerns/feedback directly with SW, please use the Contact Us link below as this is a customer community. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Maybe the Science does give us some security, but even the people in Science I know still use common sense data, "what's the national infection rate."  I wish SWA might have worded it like this, "Based on Science...yada yada yada, HOWEVER, watching the infection and spread rate on or near DEC 1, we reserve the right to reverse our decision.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While there's obviously disagreement about selling middle seats, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email this morning informing me of the change AND allowing me to receive a refund for the flight. Southwest is doing a great job being proactive about this. 

Here's a portion of the email:

"As a gesture of goodwill, we are providing you the opportunity for a refund* for your upcoming trip should you wish to cancel. In order to receive a refund*, you must complete and submit this form by Saturday, October 31 at 11:59 p.m. CDT. "

--TheMiddleSeat

bbland
Adventurer C

I'm buying a guitar case!!  Southwest won't allow us to purchase a 3rd ticket unless one of us is oversized or we are carrying a musical instrument.  Ridiculous, that with COVID cases on the rise we won't be able to buy a 3rd seat.  Delta & American will allow us to to do this.  Other airlines also fly a variety of planes that gives us the option to choose a plane with just 2 seats per side of the row.  Southwest really needs to reconsider this.  Too many people take their masks off when a flight attendant isn't looking or 'actively eat and drink' during the entire flight to avoid wearing a mask.  I'm not risking being that close to someone.

fly_illinois
Explorer C

SWA's new full-capacity seating policy is disheartening.

I expect to continue to drive and zoom for another 12 months I guess,

rather than travel on the best airline in the industry.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Life (flying)  is pretty safe as long as you wear your mask, wash your hands etc. Southwest does a good job of sanitizing it's planes and keeping plane air fresh.

Statistics I've seen are that your chance  of dying from Covid exposure on a plane  is something like 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 600,000.

Your chance of dying in a car crash is something like 1 in 125 over your lifetime.