Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Delayed flights

dwaynec74
Explorer A

What is the customary way of handling delays? I have heard numerous takes from Luv vouchers to one free drink to nothing. It ran the gamut. lol. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Delayed flights

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It depends on the reason.  If there is a weather delay, do not expect compensation.

Delays for other reasons are typically handled on a case-by-case basis.  I have experienced many small delays with no comp (which is par for the course across many airlines).  Once, there was a two hour delay that pushed us to departing past midnight.  Proactively, SW gave everyone on the plane a $100 LUV voucher.

If your delay causes you to not get to your destination on the scheduled day, the compensation might be larger, depending (again) on the reason.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

If your delay causes you to not get to your destination on the scheduled day, the compensation might be larger, depending (again) on the reason.

Absolutely the "actual damage" plays into it - there was a previous thread where someone was very upset about their routing but in the end they were delivered back to their home airport in the same day - that's more or less what the agreement is and they aren't aware or guaranteeing a particular arrival time necessarily. 

Arriving a day later and incurring costs related to that can figure into the equation, if you think you may qualify for reimbursement get the details sorted out who is paying for what before  you leave the airport.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind @dwaynec74 ?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dwaynec74
Explorer A

Naaaww, Dave. I was just curious.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dwaynec74 wrote:

Naaaww, Dave. I was just curious.

It seems to be generally reasonable then, the main complaints on the community are due to extreme events such as weather that affects a broad swath of the country (and which there is not reimbursement other than re-booking) and mechanical problems affecting aircraft availability.

The problem is for the busiest routes or people that re-accomodate last, the availability may be low resulting in longer delays for a rescheduled flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.