Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Denied Boarding on Connecting Flight Because Standbys Already Boarded and the Inbound was Delaye

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

One last comment: From your overall grade, it seems to me like maybe you're a tough judge. 😉 Or perhaps just have high standards or expectations, some of which may not be reasonable with respect to the general state of domestic travel today. Keep in mind that many of the negatives you mention are no fault of Southwest (TSA, rental-car location, airport food prices). I would say that your description sounds like what I would call a pretty average travel experience these days.

Well said @chgoflyer, domestic airline travel ain't what it used to be and this report sounds pretty normal for any airline and airport in the US nowadays.

I do appreciate @Cable-TV-Guy taking the time to share his experience, I think it's insightful to hear how other people, particularly those who don't travel with Southwest often, view the travel experience. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Denied Boarding on Connecting Flight Because Standbys Already Boarded and the Inbound was Delaye

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

TNX for the insight.  All-in-all, I will be back on SWA rather soon.  And, flying to Europe next yeare, as well.  The question will then come up of whether other airlines can meet their example?  The customer-facing people I encountered at SWA on this trip set a pretty high standard!  

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

Chgoflyer,

TNX for the input.  Yes, perhaps I'm a tough judge!  For 36 years, my job required me to be both an engineering and human relations perfectionist.  And, like I said, I started flying when it was pretty much a luxury for most people.  As far back as the mid-1960's, my parents and I were flying several times a year.  Men wore suits and women wore dresses.  And, yes times had to change as a result of 9/11.  But, when I attended a business meeting at the Virginia State Police Academy in Ruchmond a decade or so ago, there was a sign in the lecture hall that read, "You Can Be Tough As Nails And Courteous".

As for the Southwest part of the experience, except for the last flight, it was pretty good overall.  And yes, the FA on the second flight was specific about laptops.  And, yes I saw people using laptops on the ground.

I'm already looking at the SWA website trying to plan my next trip.  That's how satisfied I was with them.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Cable-TV-Guy wrote:

Chgoflyer,

TNX for the input.  Yes, perhaps I'm a tough judge!  For 36 years, my job required me to be both an engineering and human relations perfectionist.  And, like I said, I started flying when it was pretty much a luxury for most people.  As far back as the mid-1960's, my parents and I were flying several times a year.  Men wore suits and women wore dresses.  And, yes times had to change as a result of 9/11.  But, when I attended a business meeting at the Virginia State Police Academy in Ruchmond a decade or so ago, there was a sign in the lecture hall that read, "You Can Be Tough As Nails And Courteous".

As for the Southwest part of the experience, except for the last flight, it was pretty good overall.  And yes, the FA on the second flight was specific about laptops.  And, yes I saw people using laptops on the ground.

I'm already looking at the SWA website trying to plan my next trip.  That's how satisfied I was with them.

Ok, glad to hear that you're generally pleased, despite your overall rating. Personally, I'm not sure I would be giving more business to anyone I graded a "C-/D+". 

Obviously, things did change after 9/11. But many of the changes that have happened to air travel since then frankly have nothing to do with that event, and are more a result of things like economic factors. 

One minor comment -- not to beat a dead horse -- but just in case it's unclear, laptops can be used on the ground. The only time they need to be stowed is during takeoff and landing. 😉

Hope your future air travels are great!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cable-TV-Guy wrote:

My question for the forum is what have been your experiences with Southwest when your inbound flight is delayed and standbys have already been boarded on the connecting full flight you were supposedly confirmed on?  Did you receive any compensation?  When this happened to me, all I got was a $75.00 voucher good for 90 days on any full-fare ticket on that airline.   This happened in 2008 and the outcome was extremely unpleasant with me arriving home in at 3:00 AM almost five hours past my original scheduled arrival after having to take a taxi over 70 miles from the airport I was re-routed to. I've only flown twice since then, in 2010 and 2013. And, only taking direct flights.  After driving cross-country every year since,  I've decided that after almost eleven years to “put feet to my Christian faith” and give Southwest a chance with connecting flights. While my trips require connections, I've hopefully “padded” my schedule with enough time between flights so delays won't impact connections as much. Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your response(s)...

My experience is primarily with Southwest these days, so I can't speak to the other guys.

My observations are that Southwest is not filling your seat with a standby flyer if they think you will make it. 

I have seen multiple times (and been that guy a few times) where the standby passenger waits until the very end of boarding to find out if a seat is available.

So I don't think this would happen unless for some reason they didn't think you would make it - pretty certain - and then something else happens where all of a sudden you did make it due to the connection being delayed at the last second. I feel like you would get more than $75 in this case, much more if you ended up delayed more than four hours. (There is some magic number, I don't know if it is four.)

The most likely scenario is that you make it, and then the next most likely scenario is that you miss it - there's some very slim remaining probability that everyone thinks you'll miss it and then you make it where you can stand there and watch the flight depart, this seems unlikely.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.