Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Denver flight cancellations due to weather?

FLHRMom
Explorer C

Heavy snow is predicted for this weekend in Denver.  We're booked on a flight that lands at 9a MT on Sunday, 3/13.  It's now Thursday, 3/11, and I have heard nothing from Southwest, although the media in Denver is encouraging travelers to rebook.  There is a notice on the SWA portal that says travelers can rebook without penalty.  Does Southwest send emails to booked travelers letting them know they can and/or should rebook due to expected inclement weather?  Or do I have to know about this on my own?  (BTW, I learned of it from a Denver collogue.)

Also, how far in advance will the airline cancel flights due to predicted bad weather?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Denver flight cancellations due to weather?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Travel advisory has been posted:

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2021291615320124537.html

These announcements are put on southwest.com, I don't believe they are emailed out so it is up to the traveler to check the website.  You can now rebook within the guidelines provided on the page linked above.

--TheMiddleSeat 

Re: Denver flight cancellations due to weather?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Regarding cancelling, that's a tough question.  For airports that are more accustomed to getting some snow, such as those in Colorado, airlines seem to cancel less often, but that's just my observation.  With this particular storm I suspect you'll see airlines cancelling flights scheduled for late Saturday or early Sunday and those cancellations happening throughout the day Saturday as the storm starts to show what it actually has in it.  Good luck if you decide to keep your travel plans.

--TheMiddleSeat