Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Departure canceled, can I get a refund on return flight

steffivaldiviez
Explorer C

We just found out our departing flight was canceled. We’re on hold for over an hour so far.  We are going to ask for a similar flight out, but it’s probably unlikely there will be one. So we are planning to ask for a refund. 

But how does that work for the returning flight? It hasn’t been canceled. 

Since this flight was canceled we plan to just make the 12 hour drive, obviously we won’t need a flight back then because we’ll be driving. 

Are we entitled a refund on the returning flight since we won’t be flying there? 

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Departure canceled, can I get a refund on return flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, you can refund the entire reservation based on the outgoing flight being canceled. 

--TheMiddleSeat

steffivaldiviez
Explorer C

Thank you for that information! I just want to know what to ask for if we ever get a through. 

Do you know how long a refund typically takes to go through?

The drive is 12 hours and I hadn’t exactly budgeted for a hotel and such, but we have 3 young children.  I’m not sure if we can drive 12 hours straight. 

noe23
Explorer C

@steffivaldiviez , renting a car and driving one way seems to add a huge amount of money to the price. Are you expecting Southwest to reimburse you for the charge? Just asking because we're thinking of doing the same thing, but its going to cost us $600+ to rent a car from Phoenix and drop it off in the California Bay Area... 

KHUSKER
Explorer C

Good luck getting thru - I was on hold over 10 hours before someone picked up at 7:30 am my time zone.  Told me I couldn't get a refund until the flight time it takes off but the flight was cancelled.  They are clueless and their app & website has been crashing - can't get anything done.IMG_1367.PNGIMG_1371.PNGIMG_5746.JPEGIMG_5747.JPEGIMG_1388.PNGIMG_1387.JPGIMG_1375.PNGIMG_1374.PNGIMG_1373.PNGIMG_1372.PNGIMG_1364.PNGIMG_1361.PNG

steffivaldiviez
Explorer C

Oh my gosh! Horrible!

I wonder if we should just hang up and plan on driving and call back another day? 

gosh I’m so sorry! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

you should be able to cancel yourself.

click on flight (above)

click on manage reservations

input confirmation number and name and cancel.

Suebedoo
Explorer B

not so simple...  the site tells you it's not possible to cancel, since the time of the flight has already passed (I know, because it happened to me yesterday). It's forcing me to call them.

KHUSKER
Explorer C

same thing for me too!  And having a companion complicates it to rebook and if you are lucky enough to find a flight you need to book it but too many keystrokes to buy it to back to booked flight click add companion add it and pay tax fee - it's gone 

steffivaldiviez
Explorer C

This is all such a mess!

We’re just planning on driving the 12 hours. My husband is still On hold : we tried to cancel online but it only offers a credit and not a refund.   We really need the refund. This is the only the second time we’ve planned a trip in the whole 10 years we’ve been married. 😭. I have so much anxiety about traveling that far without tons of available “cash”. 

It’s embarrassing but we don’t use credit cards and we paid $1750 cash for the 5 of us (me and my husband and 3 kids) to go on this trip. That is so much money for us.