Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Departure canceled, can I get a refund on return flight

JBaylor
Explorer C

I can really empathize with you. We are similar and budgeted for this trip. Now we will be in Boston for 4 days. I went to the southwest ticket counter this morning and was told they will cover housing, transportation, and food for the next 4 days. But we have to submit a form which means we come out of pocket and get reimbursed later. We also do not use credit cards, but we brought one (just in case). We hate using it, but are trusting southwest will do what they said. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Refunds can be requested here:

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Refunds can be requested here:

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

--TheMiddleSeat

I'd suggest taking a screen shot so you have   time/date stamped evidence of submission.

Theflyingjudge
Explorer C

That link got me $25 of my $50 early bird fees refunded. And I definitely know what I’m doing. My ex husband is a SWA pilot and I spent 12 years as part of the SWA family. He’s currently stranded just like so many unfortunate passengers. I paid (not flying non-rev or using a Buddy pass) for myself and our kids to visit the grandparents in DC, scheduled to have departed 12/26 but after 4 cancellations I had to buy tickets on AA to leave Fri, at an additional cost of $887 for the 3 of us. While SWA is allowing disrupted and stranded passengers to request reimbursement for “reasonable” travel disruption expenses, it’s simply that, a request. For straight method of payment refunds for cancelled flights, they’re still applying ticket fare rules, meaning the vast majority of travelers are stuck receiving only travel funds since they booked Wanna Get Away fares deemed non refundable apparently even in this circumstance. I submitted both a cancellation refund request and a expense increase reimbursement request. The response to my refund request was “here’s half of your early bird fee.” They withheld the second half under the rationale I might use my return ticket, despite being unable to depart on SWA until after the scheduled return date. The words hot mess don’t begin to adequately describe this debacle. I have the utmost patience and compassion for SWA employees both now and leading up to this (it was a long time coming); what I don’t have is unlimited funds to waste and endless patience for corporate greed, malfeasance and general incompetence that has no end in sight. 

Blvandemark
Explorer C

That only allows for travel Funds, not a full refund. 

Baymax88
Explorer C

I've submitted my claims through the link mentioned for both of my flights and have only gotten a confirmation that the requests were recorded. As you mentioned, I went through the SW app for my cancelled flight, and it gave me a travel credit immediately, but I want the refund on my credit card. I didn't want to wait to take action on the cancelled flight in the app since I wasn't sure what would happen if I did nothing... Based on other posts online, if our flight was cancelled, we are eligible for a refund to the original form of payment, so I'm also using https://support.southwest.com/email-us/s/ and selecting Customer Service to request full refunds for both of my flights (providing dollar amount and flight confirmation numbers) and also attaching all receipts for my additional costs related to the travel disruptions the last couple days (I resorted to Greyhound to get home). All of my costs should be "reasonable" as they cite on their website for reimbursements.