Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Difference in fare

chgoflyer
Aviator A

On Southwest, you can change any flight to any other flight at any time. If the new flight cost is higher, you will have to pay the difference. If the new flight cost is lower, you'll receive a credit (called "travel funds").

Travel funds are valid toward new travel for the original passenger(s) only. All new travel must be completed within one year of the original purchase date, and any new flight you book using the travel funds will take on that earlier expiration date.

Note that travel funds are held under the confirmation number of the original flight, so be sure to retain that for use when applying them to the new reservation. (Southwest doesn't offer any way of keeping flight credits in a "travel bank" or customer's account.)

psamifua09
Explorer C

Are we abke to use the travel credit to purchase a flight for another family member? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@psamifua09 wrote:

Are we abke to use the travel credit to purchase a flight for another family member? 

No. Travel funds are only usable by the person whose name was on the ticket for a flight that was changed or canceled by the passenger.

amorriso
Explorer C

Where do you go to rebook the flight? I cannot find where it says 'rebook'. I see change and cancel. Don't want to do something I can not take back. Thanks in advance for your help!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@amorriso wrote:

Where do you go to rebook the flight? I cannot find where it says 'rebook'. I see change and cancel. Don't want to do something I can not take back. Thanks in advance for your help!

Pick "change" to rebook your flight

bec102896
Aviator A

@amorriso wrote:

To book travel you just do a regular flight search and when you get to the payment screen there is an option to apply travel funds. 

If your trying to change a reservation to a different date or flight you would just click the change button and select the date and flight you want. 

-Blake  

Karmal
Explorer C

If i have purchased a wanna get away ticket and the rates are now lower how do i get airline credit for the price difference? Does it have to be the exact flight or could i change to a different flight and get the better rate?

Thank you 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Karmal,

You can always make changes to your itinerary easily on Southwest.com, and you can definitely secure a lower fare if it is available. Any remaining amount will be held for you to use within one year of the original purchase date. 

To adjust your itinerary, visit Southwest.com, and click on "Flight" in the top right corner. From there, select "Manage Reservation." You will then follow the step-by-step on screen instructions to make changes to your reservation. 

bethany8259
Explorer C

Hi! If you purchase a Wanna Get Away fare with Southwest points, and the fare goes down. What do you need to do to get the lower fare? Cancel and rebook? How will that work since you used points to book?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @bethany8259,

Check out the answers on this thread, where someone else posted the same question!