Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Difference in fare

AdamH
Retired Community Manager

If I purchase a ticket and the price goes down before the flight, can I get a credit for the difference?

65 REPLIES 65

Re: Difference in fare

Kaylat413
Explorer A
Solution

You absolutely can! Whenever you part in a lower fare, you receive the difference in the form of a travel credit. It will be located on your confirmation number. Make sure you complete travel by that expiration date though!!!

Slotsalot
Explorer C

I have a credit from finding a lower fare on line.  I called SWA and was told that I could not use the credit towards a Las Vegas vacation package.  I paid for the ticket with cash money (credit card) why can''t I use it on anything I want with SWA.  They did not tell me at the time that there were restrictions on what products of theirs I could use it on. Does anyone have any information on this policy.  It does not seem fair that if they are not willing to give me a credit back to my CC that they should be able to restrict how I use the credit.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

just be careful- when you do this, you can lose the entire credit if any portion of the credit expitres!  I have lost hundreds of dollars built up in numerous changed fligghts when a small(less than $5) credit expired before I used it all and it all went away...

harrisbmo
Explorer C

I did the same thing.  Booked a ticket and then the fare for my exact same flight on the exact same day when down so I changed the reservation to get the lower fare.  But what was different on this one was that the website said "refund" and normally if you change a reservation it says travel credit and travel credit alway implies the 'expires 1 yr from initial purchase with those funds'.  I thought a refund might mean just that - I get a refund with no expiration date to deal with.  Does anyone know if the policy is the same when the fare drops on your booked flight?

LindseyD

Hi @harrisbmo,

If you purchase the Anytime or Business Select Fare, you can receive a refund of the difference if the fare drops. 

If you get a Wanna Get Away, you will receive a travel credit for the difference. The exception is that you can receive a refund for the difference within the first 24 hours of purchasing the ticket. It sounds like this is what happened on your ticket. Does that help clear it up? Let us know if you have questions! 

keachel
Explorer C

Good Morning,

How do I go about getting the credit for the difference in my fare.  It went from $251 per person to $202 per person. 

Also I used my points and the difference is lower now on the new fares.  Can I get them credited to my points account?

keachel
Explorer C

How do I go about getting the refund for the difference?  Do I need to cancel the original and rebook?

LindseyD

Hi @keachel

To rebook your flight at a lower fare, just visit Southwest.com, and click on the word "Flight" in the upper right corner of the screen. Then, select the "Manage Reservations" option. You'll need your confirmation number handy at this point. Once you're logged into your reservation, follow the on-screen steps to rebook your ticket at a lower fare. The difference will remain attached to the confirmation numer (so put it in a safe place and remember it!) and you'll be able to use those funds toward the purchase of a new flight. Make note of the expiration date of the funds and  be sure to use them by then. 

Happy Travels!

vratchford7522
Explorer B

Hi Lindsey.  Is this information still accurate?  

Is there an advantage to purchasing points to go along with my exisiting points in order to reach the points required?

Is there a way to combine my existing points with a credit card purchase without purchasing more points?