Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Difference in fare

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

The only advantage to purchasing points to add to you points is if you think it's a good deal.

Its going to cost $60.00 for 2,000 points and $120.00 for 4,000 points. 10,000 points will cost you $275.00.  You have to pay with all points or all cash for a ticket not both!.

Good Luck!

vratchford7522
Explorer B

thanks franktravel!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @vratchford7522,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Which information are you asking about, specifically? 

If you want to purchase your flight with points, and you're really close, then it is definitely an advantage to be able to purchase the few remaining points that you need, especially if it is cheaper to buy the extra points than to buy an entire ticket. 

I'm not quite sure I understand the last question about combining your existing points with a credit card purchase. Can you clarify?

vratchford7522
Explorer B

Thanks, Lindsey.  What I mean is that I need tickets for my entire family, two adults and two children.  I will not have enough points to cover both legs for all of us.  

Is there an advantage to having the roundtrip tickets for all of us all on one purchase...rather than two of us on points travel and two of us on credit card purchase?  If there is an advantage to that, is there a way to accomplish that with a combination of existing points and outright paying for the tickets with a credit card?

LindseyD

Hi @vratchford7522,

There's not really any advantage to having one reservation vs two reservations. And, there isn't a way to put a Points-purchased flight on the same reservation as a credit card-purchased flight. 

The best thing would be to make one reservation for the Points flights, and another for the ones you want to pay for. Very easy, you'll just have two PNRs to keep up with. 

vratchford7522
Explorer B

Hi Lindsey.  Thanks for the info.  It all makes sense now.  I was able to get on the phone with Jaime in the Phoenix (?) reservation center.  He took care of everything, making sure we maximized the use of the points we had and minimzed the amount of cash out of pocket.  I think it took six different transactions, but we got there.  I would estimate we saved over 60% of cash cost by best utilizing the points available.  Complments to him, and to you for your help here on the forum.

ubaldoc
Explorer C

Hello Lindsey,

I'm purchasing 8 roundtrip tickets. If the fare goes down and I rebook to get the credit, can I use that total credit on a future trip for just one person? Or does each individual credit need to be used by that particular flyer.

thank you

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

I would recommend you purchase separate tickets. When the price goes down much easier to change for each person. Sometimes the lower price is only available for one ticket not all eight. The credit will be divided and have to be used by each person. 

LindseyD

Hi @ubaldoc,

If you purchase tickets and the fare goes down, you can certainly rebook and keep the difference to use toward a future reservation. The credits do need to be used by the person to whom they orginally belonged. 

COMOM
Explorer C

If a credit is issued because of a lower price found, how long generally do you have to use the credit before it expires? And if I understand correctly, if I purchase 5 tickets, a credit is attached to each of the 5 travelers, not a combined for the account?