Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Disheartened - Black Lives Matter

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

@nikkibooneboone wrote:

Is anyone else utterly saddened at the lack of a response from SWA in light of the national unrest around White Supremacy and Police Brutality? As a LOYAL Southwest patron, I would have expected more. Generally, SWA speaks up for the unjust and marginalized, but it seems like they're choosing profits over people.......I am not surprised, but I suppose I excited more naively.........Is anyone else feeling this way? As I consider my loyalty going forward, I'll take this into consideration. I am not longer support businesses that don't support black and brown lives. Period. 

Hey @nikkibooneboone, thanks for sharing what's on your mind and in your heart. I sincerely apologize that we've let you down with regards to our timing. We must and will do better starting today. Please know that Southwest stands with our Black Employees, Customers, and communities in the fight against hatred and racial injustice. Be on the lookout for more from us very soon.

Nicole
Community Manager

Deerkeeper
Explorer C

Nicole,

There’s nothing to apologize for. Everyone has their own opinion on things, and that should be respected. 

ColoradoAnn
Explorer C

The BLT organization is full of hate and I will not support any organization that supports this organization or behavior.   Southwest is a business and should stay out of politics.  They have one job to do, provide safe air travel for all passengers. I applauded Southwest for respecting that all lives matter, not just a few select groups.  I have no guilt for my "white" heritage and it certainly doesn't make me racist.

Thegarretts2016
Explorer C
And what exactly is your "white" heritage that you're proud of? Don't understand why that comment mattered, in this conversation. Especially as you praise a corporation for not being specific to race in their approach. Why did you choose to be, in this comment?

Inferno84
Explorer C

A co worker of mine at southwest airlines was told by management that he could not display a blm sticker on his locker. It was up there for 3 years before someone complained.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@nikkibooneboone

You can find what has been shared here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

gsking
Aviator C

Where exactly were they not meeting your expectations for racial issues?  I don't recall any complaints about this issue, nor have I ever seen any myself.

So if you are saddened by something, I'd be interested to know what it is.  I think making comments like this without substance are baseless and unfair.  They didn't otherwise have any involvement with the recent issues, so why do you feel they need to be associated with them?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@gsking wrote:

Where exactly were they not meeting your expectations for racial issues?  I don't recall any complaints about this issue, nor have I ever seen any myself.

So if you are saddened by something, I'd be interested to know what it is.  I think making comments like this without substance are baseless and unfair.  They didn't otherwise have any involvement with the recent issues, so why do you feel they need to be associated with them?

There have been reported incidents. For a quick refresher, just google "Southwest + Racism."

And, of course, by "involvement" and "association," many companies are using this moment to publicly reiterate their intolerance of racial injustice and support of their black employees, customers and communities.

Just like Southwest did.

Dashgupta
Adventurer A

The person is just lobbying for Social Justice and asking where the airline stands. There is a beautiful blog by SW in the Blog Forum that shoes SW is involved. With recent events why do you begrudge her to ask where SW stands . People are entitled to support Businesses that support their values. Why are you not seeming to understand her question. Silence to injustice is acceptance. Your remarks don’t bare well to this wonderful Idealistic and Principled person. Your remarks are not in line w Nicole Ashley’s I spring comment that shows SW inclusiveness not your bitterness and misinterpretation of the persons remarks. Can’t we all get along.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Dashgupta you continue to fail to comprehend my original post. I am gllad to see you suddenly found some proper grammar and stopped pretending to be Indian or something similar. Who is being racial insensitive here?

--TheMiddleSeat