Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Disrespectful Customer Service

nnnelson
Explorer C

I normally fly Southwest for the customer service and ease of changing flights. Both of which very important to me being in the military, not being able to plan trips far out, and the ease and ability to change them. I was extremely disappointed today when I had a flight scheduled out of a smaller airport and then continuing on from a larger hub. With a family emergency arising, I had traveled closer to the hub and was looking to take the rest of my flight out from the hub. Knowing that if you miss the first flight of your itenerary the rest of your flights will be cancelled, I called customer service to get more information from a Southwest representative. First call, the representative was rude but immediately passed me onto a manager right away when I requested. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, the call was disconnected, from their end, and I tried to call back. After simply requesting to speak to a manager, I held for another 22 minutes before speaking to Amy A. from Chicago. I told her my situation, told her I was military, and was just curious what all I could do to continue on my flight from the larger hub. She was very rude and short with me and said what the representative told me, how I would have to reschedule my flight, saying it would be around $500. With the credit from my frist flight, it would be closer to $200 extra. I told her again I was military and what options did I have, and she asked, "Well, are you a spouse or actually active duty?" After clarifying I was active duty again, she became much nicer and proceded to tell me about military pricing. Being a female in the military, I was extrememly disappointed that that kind of judgement came from another female. I was very offended. After giving me the military pricing and using all the extra credits that I had from purchasing and changing flights, it came out to being $13 extra. I asked if there was any way to waive that fee, considering I fly with Southwest pretty regularly. She responded very shortly saying that she has done everything she can and I should be thankful it is only $13. I reluctantly paid the $13 but plan to take this story further. Extremely disappointed by how she treated me, judging me as a military spouse, and only then mildly respecting me once I clarified. Anyone else have this issue arise?